Frequent Contributor

Physical Therapy - Good or Waste of $$

I am 4 weeks out from hip surgery - doing great! My Dr recommended 12 sessions with a PT. I have participated in 7 sessions. I think it is a waste of time for all involved. Next week I am going back to the gym to work on my muscles. Has anyone felt the same way or am I an oddball? I realize that PT has helped some, but am thinking I will get better results @ the gym. (I did go to the gym almost up to the time of my surgery - was in pretty good shape anyway.) Am I wrong for not wanting to go anymore? Feedback appreciated. ☺
Honored Contributor

Re: Physical Therapy - Good or Waste of $$

My DH has never lasted for as many sessions as was recommended for him, he says whatever they do there, he can do at home, so he stops going ahead of time, but each case is different. 

Honored Contributor

I think it depends. Many people are helped by PT, but some people do not need as much as other people do.

If you have full range of motion and no pain, you probably can skip additional sessions. I'd check you see if you are fully healed before you did anything too strenuous.  Ask the doc, most don't care as long as you are coming along well.

I have been prescribed PT many times for different things and never went.  No one seemed to care.

Highlighted
New Contributor

MaryMary, to be honest, going to the gym can be tricky since PT focuses on the specific areas and you could very easily tear a muscle or whatever at the gym unless you take with you to the gym what you learned at PT. But I think you should be monitored. I fractured my foot three years ago and the PT did wonders for it. Of course, I was to do some exercises prescribed by my PT colleagues at home. Just be careful that you don't strain anything at the gym. I wish you all the best and good health to you. 

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I fell and broke my wrist.   After surgery I was sent to PT for a few weeks.   This is my opinion only, but I didn't feel that the exercises they gave me each week were really anything that I couldn't have done at home on my own.  

Certainly I got the use of my wrist back without any problems but I think that I would have healed the same without the PT.  

Since it was paid by insurance I continued the full sessions and may have benefitted some by what the therapist taught me.    I realize my injury wasn't severe so I can't really comment on how much it benefits those who are really in need of it.  

If I needed it again I most likely would avail myself of the services as long as it was covered by my insurance.

Respected Contributor

Everyone is different,  but I would go to at least one more session and discuss it with your PT.   They may be able to give you direction so you don't hurt yourself at the gym. 

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been active all my life and have suffered various injuries to prove it. I was sent to PT more times than I can remember. The only time that I felt PT really helped was after knee replacement.

Respected Contributor

Depends on the situation.  I crushed my thumb last year.  It was really bad, and will never be the same.  I only went to one session of PT.  They wanted me there 2x/week, but I that would have been about $600 out of pocket each month.  I couldn't spend it.  I did the exercises at home, and got as much use back as I believe was posssible.  

Talk to the therapist and find out what the longer-term plan is, and then make a decision.  I'd also ask the therapist about what you can and can't do at the gym, and timing for adding more in.  If you do too much or overdo it, you could cause yourself an unnecessary injury or two.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mary in MO wrote:
I am 4 weeks out from hip surgery - doing great! My Dr recommended 12 sessions with a PT. I have participated in 7 sessions. I think it is a waste of time for all involved. Next week I am going back to the gym to work on my muscles. Has anyone felt the same way or am I an oddball? I realize that PT has helped some, but am thinking I will get better results @ the gym. (I did go to the gym almost up to the time of my surgery - was in pretty good shape anyway.) Am I wrong for not wanting to go anymore? Feedback appreciated. ☺

A good Physical Therapist is worth her/his weight in gold.

7-12 sessions is nothing. I didn't have hip surgery, but I had surgery that required a year of PT.

Depending on what's going on, it can take a year to get final (goal) results. It can feel as if it's not helping for months, and then, one day, you notice you've gotten over a hump. 

I'd feel safer with a PT because they will guide you in proper form, exercises, number of reps, when to take it easy, when to increase, etc.  

If insurance pays for it, your doctor will keep giving you prescriptions until you, the doctor and the PT feel you're okay on your own.

Definitely talk to your doctor for her/his advice before making a decision. 

Esteemed Contributor

Such a blessing that you recovered so well from surgery.  A knowleable and good PT will pull you through at make you at your best. They are reporting to the surgeon so you may want to call his office.