Honored Contributor

Re: Pfizer’s vaccine is 95% effective even in 😻older adults with no serious safety concerns

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I am not hoping this happens but I can already hear this commercial ten years from now...

Did you or a family member take Pfizer's vaccine and now have cancer or died?

You need to call XYZ LAW FIRM for representation!

Moving to fast for me.  

Exactly what I was thinking.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Pfizer’s vaccine is 95% effective even in 😻older adults with no serious safety concerns

@CLHS68 wrote:

It won't do any good if people refuse to get it.

You can't force that on anyone.  It's unethical.

Honored Contributor

NY is going to get the vaccine to run their own trials so they can see if it's safe or not. I don't blame them.

I know they won't do that here?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I am reading in reputable sources is that the vaccines are not going to keep us from getting COVID-19, it sets the body up to have a lighter case of the virus. So they don't prevent one from getting the virus. Think mild case instead of worse. The problem with the vaccines are the lack of full stage three testing. Each of us will have to decide for ourselves what we want to do. Just get educated about it. 

Respected Contributor

Insert side-eye

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I hope more data is made public about the vaccine candidate recipient that got severe COVID 19 and in the other seven that got COVID despite the vaccine. I'd like to know their sex, age, race, ethnicity, blood type, health history, BMI and exposure stories. I'd like to know if the company has sequenced the viruses that caused illnesses in both the vaccine and placebo participants that got sick. I'd like to know if those with severe symptoms, how many were ventilated and if any passed away.

Why did the vaccine not work for them? 

What can be learned from these subjects? 

All great questions, @Mindy D .

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Growing wrote:

What I am reading in reputable sources is that the vaccines are not going to keep us from getting COVID-19, it sets the body up to have a lighter case of the virus. So they don't prevent one from getting the virus. Think mild case instead of worse. The problem with the vaccines are the lack of full stage three testing. Each of us will have to decide for ourselves what we want to do. Just get educated about it. 

@Growing @I hope you take this from me as being well-intentioned but this is not true. So far, it appears that Pfizer's vaccine and Moderna's vaccine do prevent infection with the virus that causes COVID-19. They are not 100% effective at prevention but they are 95% and 94% effective, respectively. 6% or 5% of those vaccinated did get COVID-19. In Pfizer's trial using two shots for each participant there were over 40,000 persons enrolled with half receiving placebos. Of those receiving the vaccine, around 20,000,  only one participant got severe COVID-19. Seven others tested positive but did not have severe disease. Of those receiving the placebo there were 162 cases of COVID-19. That's 8 infections in the vaccinated versus 162 infections in the unvaccinated. 

There is no lack of three stage testing. What is lacking is long term follow up of subjects enrolled in the trials. The Moderna vaccine efficacy in different patient groups has not been made public yet. 

It is true that influenza vaccines often result in a lack of prevention of some infections, especially in some older adults and the clinically obese, but that the older adults that become infected usually do have a less severe case. Every year it is an educated guess as to which influenza strains will be circulating in the upcoming season. The efficacy of each of the available vaccines varies from year to year. 

As the vaccinated with the COVID vaccines are followed up upon it might become evident that the prevention from infection is not long lasting and revaccinations might be necessary due to waning antibodies or due to viral mutations. This remains to be seen since the virus and the vaccines are to new to know yet. 

Honored Contributor

I like the vaccine news, but until a huge percentage of the world has been vaccinated, I will continue to live my current normal -  lots of social distancing, lots of handwashing, and a stash of masks.  

I don't think most of us here will need to decide whether to puoneer a Covid vaccine.  The healthcare workers and other first responders get first dibs as seems right to me and there should be plenty of time for the rest of us to learn more of the safety of it.  Hopefully that news will be as good as the progress the medical people have made in learning ways to treat those infected.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am very optimistic that we will have an effective vaccine very soon.  Of course, results of trials must be scrutinized.  Also,

I don’t think there have been trials on children and pregnant women.  I guess I believe science can produce miracles.

We did send a man to the moon and back.  Many thought that was impossible.

Edited to add that the vast majority of the moon landing effort was made possible by the use of slide rules.  Computers were in their infancy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I am not hoping this happens but I can already hear this commercial ten years from now...

Did you or a family member take Pfizer's vaccine and now have cancer or died?

You need to call XYZ LAW FIRM for representation!

Moving to fast for me.  

@Happiness Is Inside JOB Exactly my thoughts!!  I'm hopeful but too cautious to be the first or even the second or third in line....I need time to see just how "safe" it is.