Super Contributor

If anyone says that owning a pet does not help in managing pain, they don't have a pet, or they have a pet and the pet is a fish.

Honored Contributor

Will say that they certainly help take care of that thing sitting on top of the shoulders and it is all good.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yes- unless your pet trips you down the stairs...

which is why I always let him go first.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, many people suffering from chronic pain don't have the physical and financial means to care for a pet.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor
On 9/27/2014 adelle38 said:

Unfortunately, many people suffering from chronic pain don't have the physical and financial means to care for a pet.

That is so true, Adelle! People need to do their research on what is involved in caring for a pet before adopting one. They really are quite expensive to care for...if cared for properly.

Many people who have chronic pain also might be older people who are in apartments or housing that do not allow pets. That is so sad, because they are such a great comfort.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Trusted Contributor
On 9/27/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/27/2014 adelle38 said:

That is so true, Adelle! People need to do their research on what is involved in caring for a pet before adopting one. They really are quite expensive to care for...if cared for properly.

Many people who have chronic pain also might be older people who are in apartments or housing that do not allow pets. That is so sad, because they are such a great comfort.

In my apartment the non refundable pet fee is $350 plus an extra $15 per month. People say get a cat because they are easier to care for. They may not need to be walked but you need to be vigilant about cleaning the litter box which for me would mean going up and down stairs a lot. Then, there are always unexpected vet bills.

Honored Contributor

I had to let my ex-SIL take my Belle. She was a sweetie, and a really good cat, but I just couldn't handle the box cleaning anymore, nor could I keep up with hair removal on the furniture and rugs. I have to say I did her a favor, because he and she are best friends and she has a far more interesting life with him than she did with me. My grandchildren see her often, so there's still a connection. I miss having a pet.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Ford, how fortunate you were to have someone take your Belle. I'm sorry it's too difficult for you to have a pet now as they can be such a comfort.

Dogs, especially, help us in so many ways--guide dogs, military dogs, comfort dogs, security dogs, search & rescue and much, much more. It's a shame we read of so much animal abuse in the news. They really are "man's best friend."

Trusted Contributor
On 9/27/2014 lolakimono said:

Yes- unless your pet trips you down the stairs...

which is why I always let him go first.

I fostered a cat for two weeks who was a skinny version of him. He was a real sweetie but always on top of my feet when I walked. I was afraid one of us was going to get hurt. He also insisted on sitting on my head when I did yoga.