Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if any of you know that these fees are negotiable.

I started with $75 per session (that's what they wanted) and I ended up with 36 sessions at $40 per session. I say sessions because I don't think I could last a full hour with my trainer.

Since I was so much out of shape, no strength, no fitness what so ever, the manager came over and said he would take me. At first he didn't think I would survive but my commitment and drive has sailed me through my second month.

Respected Contributor

I live in Northern VA, about 20 miles south of Washington, DC and I have a personal trainer. The trainer works at the gym and they charge about $70/session unless you get a a pack which they sell in sets of 12, 18 or 24. I usually buy the 18 or 24 pack and then I pay $55/session. I train with her once a week and I work out on my own the other days. I work part time and this is where some of my money goes, to the trainer. I love my trainer because she'll work me harder than I'd work myself. It's a personal choice and if you can afford it, I say try it. I got my DH as a Xmas present last year a 12 pack and the trainer set him on the path of working out regularly. After the 12 pack was done, he decided to work out on his own and he continues to work out at least 3 times a week. He's lost 40 lbs. so far. I've lost 18 lbs. and would like to loose another 10 or so. We're both 60 now and we're mainly doing for our health.

Honored Contributor

The trainers at our YMCA charge $40/hour and usually you will do 3 sessions with them then you work on your own for about a month then get another session for them to increase your workout then you go a month etc etc. I don't kn ow anyone who can afford to work with a trainer every time they go to the gym - that would run you about $500/month. Around here that is a lot of $$$$$.

Contributor
I am doing small group personal training right now and the cost was $149 for 8 weeks for one hour per week . We actually meet twice a week for 30 minutes. I started out with pairs training and that was $30 per hour. I wasn't sure I would like it, but much to my surprise I do! The woman is evil and makes us do crazy squats with heavy weights but I love her and I'm seeing results. I leave her class, and then do more cardio for an hour afterward. Guess im just a glutton for punishment
Honored Contributor

Thanks very much for all of your replies.

Very helpful to me.