Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   I've always taken very good care of my teeth too, but stuff happens as ou get older.  Last year I had to have a tooth pulled.  I was in total shock, but in even more shock after all the work was done.  It was a major molar, so I went through the long process of getting an implant, and eventually the crown last month.  The insurance paid a small portion of it (pulling the tooth and the crown).  My total cost for the one tooth was about $4,500.

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

We are both retired but still carry our Delta dental insurance through the company he retired from.  I just had to have one of my permanate bridges replaced as my old one broke.  The insurance covered 80%, my share of cost was just under $800.00.

Wow! You have great dental insurance.

I told my mom before she retired to get EVERY dental repair done that she needed.  Even if she had to work an extra year get it ALL done.  She was in a grandfathered insurance program that was scheduled to 'disappear' if she retired or changed hours.

My DH needed a permanent bridge recently due to a congenital defect.  Between the prep work and the bridge......some things were covered at 50% some at 80% (deductible met) it was eye popping in costs.  

It was a shame it could not be covered better as it was not his fault.

Honored Contributor

I have gum problems also, all the new technology is amazing now, compared to decades past.  If he's that good, it's worth the wait but can you get on the cancellation list?    Most offices keep one in case someone cancels, they start calling the list to see if someone can come in.    Even if you think it wouldn't work for you, get on the list anyway, you can always decline and they go to the next person on the list.

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

So there is a local periodontist that I have used in the past and really like.  One practitioner in the office and most state of the art imaging equipment than I have seen at any other office.

He is a young doctor very nice and top-rated.

I was referred to him again by a dentist and an endodontist and when I went to schedule the appointment I was promptly informed that they no longer participate in any insurance.  They are self-pay but will provide a receipt so that I can deal with my insurance company for reimbursement.

Apparently he built up enough of a practice that he can no opt-out of the insurance game.

His next opening is the first week in MAY!!!!  aughh

Although we have dozens of periodontists in our area but this one is hands down recommended by friends, family, dentists and dental surgeons.  My DH and I have used him before and he is very good.  

Honored Contributor

If congenital, could it be covered under medical?

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

We are both retired but still carry our Delta dental insurance through the company he retired from.  I just had to have one of my permanate bridges replaced as my old one broke.  The insurance covered 80%, my share of cost was just under $800.00.

I told my mom before she retired to get EVERY dental repair done that she needed.  Even if she had to work an extra year get it ALL done.  She was in a grandfathered insurance program that was scheduled to 'disappear' if she retired or changed hours.

My DH needed a permanent bridge recently due to a congenital defect.  Between the prep work and the bridge......some things were covered at 50% some at 80% (deductible met) it was eye popping in costs.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Periodontist ugh!

[ Edited ]

@software 

Great minds think alike!! No could not get it covered.  

A few years ago I battled for 6 months with my dental insurance company.  I needed braces or Invisalign to correct 2 teeth that shifted out of place causing me terrible tooth pain from the pressure and was damaging another tooth due to the impact of the bite out of alignment.   The dentist provided documentation and photo evidence that the treatment was not cosmetic the changes were not visible. They refused to pay.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

After reading about all the problems and lack of coverage so many of you have experianced, I'll count my blessings.

Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

@arrabella, I had Delta Dental before I got laid off.  Thank goodness I was able to keep it under COBRA while I had to get braces and then an implant.  It was good insurance.

Honored Contributor

I used to have wonderful dental insurance.  It covered almost everything at 100%.  Now that I have Medicare, I don't have dental insurance.

I only get my teeth cleaned twice a year anyway.  I never used any of the other dental benefits when I had it.

I am beyond fortunate that I have really good teeth and gums.  No problems...ever.

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess   I have a friend that used to work in a dental office and she told me that Dental was the best. They also offer free cleanings 3x/yr for the both of us.  It used to be 4x/yr but it was dropped to 3 a couple of years ago. We are thankful for the insurance we have from my husbands old employer.

Honored Contributor

Basic dental care in the US was always expensive and usually out of reach for the average person without some kind of dental insurance. If you need to have anything that requires any kind of skill, like restoration, you may have to take out a loan. There's a reason these dentists don't pull teeth anymore unless you opt for an implant. KACHING!