Trusted Contributor

People with Diabetes, did you know this?

I am a recently diagnosed Type II patient. I went to my doctor this morning to evaluate and discuss my blood sugar readings to see if any adjustments needed to be made in medication. We also discussed the need for a stress test before I have surgery for a TKR.

During the course of the discussion, my doctor told me that if I were to have a heart attack, in all probability I would not feel the common symptoms associated with having a heart attack. Chest pressure, feeling in arm, jaw pain, etc. I had never heard of this, so I went online just to check it out and this is what I found:

According to studies published in "Diabetologia" and the "Journal of the American College of Cardiology,
diabetics are at a much higher risk of experiencing a "silent" heart attack, an attack that has few noticeable symptoms. For reasons that are not entirely understood, diabetics -- if they experience pain at all -- are more likely to feel angina in unusual places."

You may know this but I didn't and I am glad my doctor said something. Now I'll have to share it with my DH so he also knows.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta