Respected Contributor

People Sickened from McDonalds Salad

[ Edited ]

Terrible! 163 people in 10 states so far have been sickened by a parasite linked to McDonalds salad.  

Honored Contributor

Re: McDonalds Salad Parasite

It is terrible.  I feel for those people that were sick.  I wonder if McDonald's salads are prepackaged??  I makes you want to lay back on eating lettuce out.

Honored Contributor

Re: McDonalds Salad Parasite

@GCR18 wrote:

It is terrible.  I feel for those people that were sick.  I wonder if McDonald's salads are prepackaged??  I makes you want to lay back on eating lettuce out.

Some of their sandwiches have lettuce.

Makes you wonder.

I've quit eating lettuce on sandwiches years ago.

Honored Contributor

Re: People Sickened from McDonalds Salad

Two days after I had one of those salads, they came out with this on the news.  I got lucky.

Honored Contributor

For years and years I haven't ordered salads.

Tired of previously finding 'this and that' in my salads, so no more salads.

I guess I don't trust them to thoroughly wash the lettuce leaves, etc.

Just my way of thinking, though.

I always order 'hot' foods in restaurants.  The hotter the better, imo.

Don't serve me lukewarm anything.  I won't eat it, and I won't return it and/or and ask them to re-heat it. 

I'm just nice, and never make a fuss. And I'm happy about that.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read an article about food poisoning being on the rise.  It's especially dangerous for the elderly or anyone with a suppressed immune system.  3,000 per year die from a foodborne illness in the USA. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well here we go again!  Thanks for the heads up @FlowerBear.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Do they have Romaine in their salads? I don't eat at McDonald's. 

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I just read an article about food poisoning being on the rise.  It's especially dangerous for the elderly or anyone with a suppressed immune system.  3,000 per year die from a foodborne illness in the USA. 

Six years ago I battled an aggressive cancer.  The oncologist told me if I remembered absolutely nothing else, remember this - anyone with compromised immune system from chemo should absolutely not eat at a salad bar or a salad from a restaurant.  He said if I really wanted a salad I was to buy the ingredients separately and use one of those wash sprays and wash really well.  He said the thing about salads - almost every summer there is some sort of recall on bagged salads, and often on many of the veggies most ppl put in it.

His line was - any infection we get could turn into sepsis which would kill us much faster than the cancer probably ever would.  I've always remembered that.

Honored Contributor

A friend of a friend is currently being treated for a rare parasite.

Once the parasite was identified, the doctor wanted to know what country this person had traveled to, because the parasite is not found in the US.

Since the person does not travel, the exposure is suspected to have been thru food grown outside the US. The doctor felt this came thru the soil as the fruit or vegetable grew, and would not have been something that could've been washed off the surface.