Honored Contributor
On 5/30/2014 lovescats said:

I just wanted to ask those of you who had the complete hysterectomy did you have

a weakening of the bladder/sphincter

My mom did. She was never the same. She's not even alive now and had her hysterectomy about 25 years ago, but I recall her constanly having problems with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello Colliemom.

I had a totyal hysterectomy (called an oophorectomy) in1983. I suffered with terrible endometriosis band constant bleeding. My doctor was quite frankly afraid that this could turn into something horrible down the line so we decided to do it. I can tell you from my experience (since at that time I was past child bearing age (in those days at least) that it was the best thing I ever did. It took about a year to find the right HRT but I have never looked back.

I have been on HRT since 1983 and I have not had one problem. Taking HRT is also a huge benefit for women especially if you don't keep your ovaries.

I would not recommend keeping anything because you have far less risks of problems down the road. However, I am quite opinionated on the subject and I am sure others will disagree but I wanted you to have my input.

Good luck to you

Esteemed Contributor

Colliemom. I had my hysterectomy at age 37. I am now 70. I have never had any issues with my bladder but everyone is different. I am in great shape. I workout 5 days a week and keep my weight down.

I can only tell you my experience, but everyone is different.

Good luck to you

Respected Contributor
I'm almost 70 and had total hysterectomy in my mid-30's as my mom had had uterine cancer. I had extremely heavy bleeding, fibroids and several D & C's. Menopause did not occur until my early 50's with hot flashes. Never had leakages. Never felt better than after the surgery!!!! My skin looks great ( genes & care ) and I'm mistaken often for someone 50 hrs. old. Recently, I lost a high school classmate, a director of nursing, to ovarian cancer. So, do the total thing and enjoy life. HTH
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor
On 5/30/2014 lovescats said:

I just wanted to ask those of you who had the complete hysterectomy did you have

a weakening of the bladder/sphincter

No I did not. It was never even mentioned to me that it could be a problem. Maybe because I had an open procedure. He wanted a really good look at what was going on in there, because I had several fibroids, one being very large, plus cysts on my ovaries.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

I also had a total hyster. Best thing I ever did. If you're over 40, I really can't see why you would want to keep anything. My daughter also had a total at the age of 40. She was advised that if she didn't have a total, she had a very good chance of developing cancer. Her son, at that time, was only 3 and he needed his mom. Any one I know who kept part of their reproductive system had issues not many years after which resulted in another surgery.

Super Contributor

Get a second opinion on the hysterectomy. My experience was fibroids, when I was younger the doctor went in and removed the fibroids, when I was in my 40s those fibroids were back in a bad way. I had a partial hysterectomy with the uterus and one ovary removed. The one ovary was removed because one of the fibroids had wrapped around the ovary. The hysterectomy was the best surgery I ever had. I felt so much better, it was pure relief as I always suffered through heavy periods. I had traditional surgery because there were too many fibroids, I missed 5 1/2 weeks of work. My best to you.

Super Contributor
Thank you Jesus, had it all removed 11 yrs ago. I have always been so miserable with periods, i am 63. I was wearing a o.night pad and super tampon. Still changing every couple hrs. Wont go on but its so great now.
Honored Contributor

I had a total hysterectomy and I recommend them HIGHLY.

Contributor

I had a total hysterectomy (uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes) on July 1. Dr. found several small and a large fibroid tumor in uterus swollen from 75 to 125 grams. She said, "This wasn't a battle we were going to win, so it's better we took out uterus/fibroids."

I spent one night in hospital and now recovering at home with family. Sore, tired, but relieved. Seems like a long road ahead with recovery of 6 weeks. Can you give me a perspective on healing and timeline? I've been walking around house and eating lightly too.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July.