Contributor

I have reached the point of miserable, intensified Perio-Men. symptoms (heavy bleeding, pain, moodiness beyond, and more), so my dr. recommended a partial hysterectomy.

I am deciding between dr. removing only uterus or cervix/uterus? She gave me pros/cons for each but wants me to decide. I've looked at blogs and research online. Removing ovaries unnecessary.

Advice?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
I had the full one and appendix......no micro surgery. best thing I ever did.....would do it again in a heartbeat. I got my life back after years of misery.
Esteemed Contributor

It really depends if you have any issues with your cervix, uterus or ovaries. Review your family history too.

I had a partial but kept one ovary- the other one wasn't getting over cysts as it should have. Review the options with your dr, you also don't want to do anything that would bring on an incontinence issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a total hysterectomy. My ovaries were not good and my doctor, a Gynecologic Oncologist, felt leaving the cervix was just leaving a chance for cervical cancer.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

I've had the total H. If leaving the cervix in, I would be concerned down the line about cervical cancer.

Respected Contributor

I had everything out but the cervix. I don't think there is any reason to think you would have an increased risk of cervical cancer after having uterus and ovaries out. Continue to get your pap smears. If you ever needed to have the cervix out, it is a much simpler procedure than the hysterectomy.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Frequent Contributor
When I had a hysterectomy, I chose to have the ovaries and cervix removed with the uterus. After consulting with my doctor, I did not want to risk necessitating another surgery in the future. Ovarian cancer, in particular, can be very dangerous. I have never regretted my decision.
Honored Contributor

Unless you "need" your ovaries, guessing you are in your forties, so this may not warrant it, but if you don't need them, and once you enter meno, you won't, I would have those removed also, but research this. It is just one less thing to worry about, but again, this depends on your age, etc. Generally, from 52 on, ovaries are useless.

Honored Contributor

I know many people that have had a hysterectomies and kept their ovaries and are fine. However I do know one person that had to have another surgery to have her ovaries removed. She said it wasn't bad.

Contributor

I was like you plus I had several big fibroids. I had a partial three months ago. I kept the ovaries (didn't want instant menapause) and cervix (didn't want to risk damage to bladder and nearby nerves, and also you know what is supposed to be better if you keep your cervix). I had laproscopic surgery done with a robot (look up Da Vinci). Recovery was super fast. I went home that day, had only a few days of soreness and was driving in a week.