Honored Contributor

Re: Part D (Rx) cost increase for 2020 = HUGE for me

Is express scripts  part D? 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Is express scripts  part D? 

It may be one of the options in your area, @SeaMaiden .

Medicare.gov/plan-compare allows you to plug your zip code in so you can compare part D plans offered in your area.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
Part D is NOT mandatory.

Neither my husband nor I have it, nor do we intend to.

I don't know why people think part D is mandatory, @Moonlady .  It is not.  The discussion on that is a few posts earlier.

However, if someone joins later than the year they are first eligible, they are charged a "penalty" fee for each year they waited.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach 

I have decided yout, I am down to two and need to fine tune exactly what the differences are before I pick.

Good job saving so much money!!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is my example, FWIW.

When I went on Medicare I only took one RX and it was generic costing 10.00 for 90 days.   So, I decided to roll the dice and not enroll in Part D.

Fast forward 5 or so years and I had to have surgery and was prescribed a drug that I had to take for at least 90 days.   DH goes to Walmart to get it and w/out drug coverage it was $500.00 a month.

I decided right then to get a Part D plan and pay the penalty which I think is $22.00 a month.   You never know what the future may bring and I decided $22 a month was a small price to pay in case down the line I was socked with $500.00 or more a month for some drug.

I did wind up getting the drug from a Canadian pharmacy for about $120.00 for the 90 day supply.  Yes, $120.00!! A nice savings .

I do take 2 other drugs now; both generic.   I never meet the deductable so I wind up paying way more than I need to but it's worth it to me.  JIC.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote 
Part D is NOT mandatory.

Neither my husband nor I have it, nor do we intend to.

Have you read anything about Medicare and Part D? 

The Medicare. gov site has a wealth of information. 

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Here is my example, FWIW.

When I went on Medicare I only took one RX and it was generic costing 10.00 for 90 days.   So, I decided to roll the dice and not enroll in Part D.

Fast forward 5 or so years and I had to have surgery and was prescribed a drug that I had to take for at least 90 days.   DH goes to Walmart to get it and w/out drug coverage it was $500.00 a month.

I decided right then to get a Part D plan and pay the penalty which I think is $22.00 a month.   You never know what the future may bring and I decided $22 a month was a small price to pay in case down the line I was socked with $500.00 or more a month for some drug.

I did wind up getting the drug from a Canadian pharmacy for about $120.00 for the 90 day supply.  Yes, $120.00!! A nice savings .

I do take 2 other drugs now; both generic.   I never meet the deductable so I wind up paying way more than I need to but it's worth it to me.  JIC.

@Bridgegal $22 a month in just penalties?  That's not a small price to pay, it's $264 a year extra for the rest of your life.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter 

Well, true but nothing I can do about it now.   My point was, get on Part D immediately.  I think you missed that.  

Valued Contributor

I just heard about Wellcare this week.  Free dentistry, including cleaning, fillings, root canals!

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

Hi.  So, you have been happy with Wellcare?   I compared it to my plan with Envision RX and it is cheaper, esp. if I use their RX by mail.   I don't want any weird surprises down the line.