Contributor

Re: Part D (Rx) cost increase for 2020 = HUGE for me

I almost fainted when I got Humana's notice of changes for 2020!  However, someone from Humana called and said they had made changes to this plan.  They also have Walmart Value Plan which is $13.20 a month...this covers the generic drugs I take (via mail order) and my 2 meds will be $15 for a 3-mo supply.  There is a $435 deductible starting at Tier 3 and then Tier 4 & 5 drugs you pay 25% of cost for 30 day supply.  Still plan to check other plans.  You have to have the insurance IN CASE something out of the ordinary happens...I finally am switching my provider for the Medicare suppemental plan this year because of cost.  It's getting totally out of hand and taking more and more of my retirement funds to cover insurance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@geezerette   From all I've read to sing up for medicare A,B & D (x,y,z too!!!) Part D is mandatory right from the get-go. ANd if you don't add it, it costs you more to sign up for it later (once your plan starts) and they penalize you too because you did not add it in the beginning of your process.

Of course I get this if you do not need or take any prescriptions but perhaps later as you age you may end up on something.

Another necessary gov't evil.

@PINKdogWOOD 

I do believe that Part D (drug coverage) is not mandatory.  Yes, if you don't get a drug plan when you sign up for Medicare, you may be penalized later if you decide to get one or refused completely.  But you don't have to get one.  

Since the Affordable Care Act, Parts A and B have pretty much become mandatory, for lack of a better explanation.  Unless you have suitable alternative coverage.

This is my understanding and what I have read also.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Havarti 

Medicare Parts A and B are required by law. Medicare Part D is optional. At least that is the way it reads to me. I have a supplemental Prescription Plan and I see no deductions from my SS, nor a bill from Medicare. 

If that is wrong would someone please tell me where I can find that Part D is Mandatory?

hckynut

@hckynut wrote:

@Havarti 

Medicare Parts A and B are required by law. Medicare Part D is optional. At least that is the way it reads to me. I have a supplemental Prescription Plan and I see no deductions from my SS, nor a bill from Medicare. 

If that is wrong would someone please tell me where I can find that Part D is Mandatory?

hckynut

Actually, Medicare Part B is not required by law.  You do not have to pick it up if you don't want it.

Many people over age 65 do not have it because they or their spouse are still working and it is not  required as they have other insurance that is primary. If that status changes, they can enroll then.

Others just decide they do want it for no particular reason..or whatever reason.  If they decide to pick it up later than when they're first eligible, they can...but with a penalty of 10% for every 12 months they were eligible but did not enroll.

From what I've read, if you don't have Part B, you must have suitable alternative coverage according to the ACA.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

The penalty for not signing up under the ACA was removed after the administration change in 2017. Buying is no longer mandatory, that to my knowledge was pretty much the only major change in the A(?)CA, not for everyone!!!!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette   There are many people who not have Medicare Part B and they have no other insurance to replace it.  They just go without insurance.

Some  people do not get enough in SS benefits to cover the Part B payment and refuse to enroll, many because they don't understand that there are alternatives and ways to get Part B if you have little or no money.

If you do not have Part B, you are not eligible for other insurance to cover the same expenses, unless you are on an employer sponsored health plan.

You would be surprised how many people there our without insurance of any kind who are age 65 and over.

if you do not have Medicare, you can't but a supplement...never could.  That has always been the law.  it is also unlawful to have more than one supplement.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Havarti wrote:
I am on medicare and have a medical supplemental plan with one company plus my Part D prescription plan is the Humana Walmart plan because it was the lowest option available in my area for Rx.  It was about $20/mo in 2018, $25.60/mo in 2019 and I just received notice that it will be $52.80/mo in 2020 (they are changing the word Walmart to Premier - PDP).  That is more than 100% increase in one year!  No explanation for more than doubling the price and no noticeable increase in benefits.  

Part D is required by law and yet my only prescription on Good Rx (without insurance) is $10 for 90 days.  So, if this is still the lowest plan for 2020 (I don't know yet because rates are just starting to be released) I would have to pay $600/yr to the insurance company plus the cost of the medicine verses using Good Rx and just paying $40/year for the medicine to the pharmacy for a 1 year supply.  Now that the government requires participation in a Rx plan - they can charge anything and we are required by law to buy one of them.  This is so wrong!  

I know a plan takes people at low levels of usage to help balance out high levels of usages so rates can be more affordable for all.  But a 25% increase in 2019 followed by more than 100% increase in 2020 is outrageous, unaffordable and a scary peek into the future.  Have any of you experienced increases like this?

@Havarti 

I've heard it's a good plan.   When people sign up, the company doesn't know how many people will be light users or heavy users.   The most likely explanation is that lots of people signed up because of such a reasonable premium price ....  and the program lost money.    (At the very least, they should be able to break even financially.)

Or perhaps Walmart is pulling out of the plan?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@geezerette   There are many people who not have Medicare Part B and they have no other insurance to replace it.  They just go without insurance.

Some  people do not get enough in SS benefits to cover the Part B payment and refuse to enroll, many because they don't understand that there are alternatives and ways to get Part B if you have little or no money.

If you do not have Part B, you are not eligible for other insurance to cover the same expenses, unless you are on an employer sponsored health plan.

You would be surprised how many people there our without insurance of any kind who are age 65 and over.

if you do not have Medicare, you can't but a supplement...never could.  That has always been the law.  it is also unlawful to have more than one supplement.

@Carmie 

Of course, you are absolutely right.  And I knew it, so I shouldn't have posted what I did.  I have recently read information to the contrary, which is what I was basing my reply on.  Another reason to go directly to the official Medicare information instead of relying on other sources! ☺️

Health insurance rules/laws have been yo-yoing the last few years and I admit I haven't kept up.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@geezerette 

The penalty for not signing up under the ACA was removed after the administration change in 2017. Buying is no longer mandatory, that to my knowledge was pretty much the only major change in the A(?)CA, not for everyone!!!!

hckynut

It was never mandatary, @hckynut , but according to medicare.gov, the penalty still applies with few exceptions:

https://www.medicare.gov/drug-coverage-part-d/costs-for-medicare-drug-coverage/part-d-late-enrollmen...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Havarti 

Did you find a new plan yet?

I am dropping the one we each had, and am going instead with Anthem Blue Cross for a savings of about $50 per month.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Part D is NOT mandatory.

Neither my husband nor I have it, nor do we intend to.

What worries you masters you.