Super Contributor

Re: Pain relievers

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@mollybgood wrote:

Which over-the-counter meds do you reach for when pains

are an issue?

For the last few years, I have been using Motrin (IBUPROFEN) for my mild,  pain issues.  I take a baby aspirin every day, but I skip that on the few days I take the other pill.

@mollybgood

Be careful with ibuprofen, especially long term.  I was using it for several years and never realized it was giving me high blood pressure.  My doctors knew I was taking eight pills a day for RA pain.  So they put my on HBP meds, which gave me side effects, a nasty cough, and other gastrointestinal issues.  Obviously they never thought to take me off the ibuprofen.

One day I researched all of my meds and read on the Mayo Clinic site that ibuprofen caused HBP.  I went off it immediately, as well as the HBP med.  Within one week my BP returned to normal, actually lower than normal and has stayed at about 117/68 ever since.  When I told the doctors, they just shrugged it off.  And now HBP is on my records and I can't get it off unless I go to court!!  Imagine that!!

@LilacTree

I seldom, if ever, have had to take more than one (200 mg) pill in a

24-hour period.  I seldom need more than one pain pill of any type

over a 24-hour period.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take ibu, scrip from my MD.  I only take it if the inflammation from arthritis is flaring, and it really helps.  The freedom of movement I get allows me to move more freely, and then the self-fulfilling prophecy of lubricating the joints happens.

I try to be wise about what I do, too.  Movement technique helps me alot as I age.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@mollybgood wrote:

are an issue?

For the last few years, I have been using Motrin (IBUPROFEN) for my mild,  pain issues.  I take a baby aspirin every day, but I skip that on the few days I take the other pill.

@mollybgood

Be careful with ibuprofen, especially long term.  I was using it for several years and never realized it was giving me high blood pressure.  My doctors knew I was taking eight pills a day for RA pain.  So they put my on HBP meds, which gave me side effects, a nasty cough, and other gastrointestinal issues.  Obviously they never thought to take me off the ibuprofen.

One day I researched all of my meds and read on the Mayo Clinic site that ibuprofen caused HBP.  I went off it immediately, as well as the HBP med.  Within one week my BP returned to normal, actually lower than normal and has stayed at about 117/68 ever since.  When I told the doctors, they just shrugged it off.  And now HBP is on my records and I can't get it off unless I go to court!!  Imagine that!!

@LilacTree

I seldom, if ever, take more than one (200 mg) pill in a 24-hour period.

I seldom have to take more than one pain-relief pill of any kind over a

24-hour period.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mollybgood

Molly, I meant to say I took 800 mgs of ibuprofen a day (200 mgs = 1 pill), not eight pills a day.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mollybgood wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@mollybgood wrote:

are an issue?

@mollybgood

@LilacTree

I seldom, if ever, take more than one (200 mg) pill in a 24-hour period.

I seldom have to take more than one pain-relief pill of any kind over a

24-hour period.

@mollybgood

Molly, I just posted that I took four pills a day (= 800 mgs), not eight pills a day, which might have killed me!  LOL!!

And I now take one Aleve on the days when the pain is really bad, and that's not every day.  I virtually take no pain killers regularly, OTC or otherwise.

I am sorry for my error.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@mollybgood wrote:

I used to take Excedrin many years ago, but the caffeine is a problem, now.

I want to look into the turmeric that has been mentioned here a few times.

@mollybgood

I am very sensitive to caffeine.  I took Exedrin once for a headache and wound up in the ER the next day for tachardia.  I have never taken it again.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

I take Tylenol  along with a chinese herbal formula  and the two together work really well.

Honored Contributor

Agree with others about the Excedrin.  I took it once, many years ago and it make me literally sick.   I have to stay away from the caffeine.

For OTC pain meds, I keep Ibuprofen on hand.   Three of the OTC tablets is the same as one of the RX tablets.  Usually, the standard dosage for the RX version is 1-2 tablets.   I find that 6 to 8 of the OTC ones is helpful, BUT I won't take it more than once or twice a week.  Usually, I try to stick to once a week, if that.  I live in pain every day so I can handle most of it.  Sometimes, however, I just need a little break.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Aleve only in the very rare event I need a pain reliever.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hardly ever take anything for pain. I just deal with it most of the time. I also use the heating pad a lot. When I do I take aspirin or ibuprofen. I can only take ibuprofen for 3-5 days before my heart starts beating too fast & I cannot sleep. Here are a couple of sites I found info on natural pain relieve. Found the second place not long ago & have not really checked it out.

http://www.proven-natural-medicine.com/Pain_Proven.html

http://healthwyze.org/reports/658-the-potent-and-natural-painkillers-that-are-still-legal