Trusted Contributor
So....Aspirin is bad for you....Tylenol is bad for you....Aleve and Motrin are bad for you....what is left? Strong pharmaceuticals and Pot. Back to the Good Stuff!
Trusted Contributor

Oh come one, they are not "bad" for you if taken correctly.  Don't take them on an empty stomach, take only as directed and for a short period of time.  Unless your allergic to any of them, you should not have any problems.

Esteemed Contributor
All medications, over-the-counter, prescription, or herbal supplements can have dangerous side effects, including problems with combinations of meds. The latest warning concerns the length of time one should take NSAIDs, e.g., Alleve, Celebrex, Motrin, etc. In the past it was long term use that was of concern. Now the warnings for stroke and heart attack in vulnerable populations are for short term use as well. Advice is that no more than ten days of these drugs are recommended.
Esteemed Contributor

I saw on the news this morning that the FDA is ordering stronger labeling for popular pain medications:

<:time class=time datetime="2015-07-10T07:13:00-07:00">July 10, 2015, 7:13 AM|Common pain relievers like Advil, Motrin and Aleve will get stronger warning labels that will highlight the risk of heart attacks and strokes. CBS News medical contributor and Lenox Hill Hospital cardiologist Dr. Tara Narula joins "CBS This Morning" to discuss the change.

I've been taking Aleve recently not everyday for the pain in my knee.  I guess they might as well just legalize the good stuff like pot and whatever else helps with pain.

Honored Contributor

It seems like every time you turn around there's an article saying one of them is bad for you. I don't take them daily, but rotate them. Do everything in moderation.

Respected Contributor

I have had bad back pain and hip/leg pain for the past 6 weeks, took aspirin, then some Motrin, and a week ago tried one Aleve each day.  It was a miracle, felt so much better and then pain gone in 4 days, mobility back.  I didn't take it for two days, then I saw this story, and had planned on trying one pill 3 times a week, but now I am afraid to try even that.  Took aspirin today with breakfast and it is hurting as I go about my daily activity.

Perhaps a good stiff drink in the p.m. might help.  I can only imagine how those who take these meds and have serious chronic unremitting pain must be feeling today.

Super Contributor

I used to take NSAIDS when I had a headache or other pain, but they are harsh on my stomach even when taken with food. I switched to tylenol (which blocks pain and fever), and it works great for me. If I have a simple headache, just 500 mg of tylenol will take it away.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

I have taken Tylonal from the time I was a little girl for TMJ pain.  The pain has gotten worse over the years.  In the 80's I went to a doctor who recommended surgery on my jaw (one side is worn down) but they couldn't guarantee that even restructuring the jaw would stop the pain because it's due to muscle contractions and muscle "memory" is tough to stop so I declined the surgery.  So I have taken the dreaded Tylonal only when I really, really need it and never over the recommended dosage.  I'm now 64.

I also take Aspirin to dull the pain (not quite as effective) and never over the prescribed amount and only when I really  need it.  No stomach issues.

I also take Advil on occasion, never a lot and only when I'm unable to take the pain. Have been doing that for a few years now.

I also have a pinched nerve in my neck from a serious fall in 2010.  Actually, the pinched nerve is now more painful than the TMJ.... but I do the same thing.  I take only what I need and never more than recommended.

I realize the pain I have is chronic and is forever and can be debilitating but I will NOT take anything stronger.  I have developed some relaxation techniques which (believe it or not) works well as reducing the tension that seems to bring on the pain.

These pain meds have worked well for me with no side effects (thank goodness)..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Believe me, I hear you on this one.  Never thought I'd have a long-term issue with a medication, but I did and it's so not good.

I'm in year 31 of a chronic migraine.  Have taken just about every medication which exists for pain and inflammation in order to quell the daily pain of this years long headache, which often morphs into a really bad, bad, months long flare.

Botox injections gave me a 2 year respite until my body developed a resistance to it.

The drug that's done a number on my kidneys is Mobic, which I took willingly for 12 years, as it was the most effective at controlling the chronic migraine (I'd say 75% effective, which is darn good when you've had that kind of pain for that long).  Then my bi-annual labs started showing a change in my eGFR, which is a kidney function test and I'm now in Stage III kidney failure. 

Looking back on those 12 years of taking Mobic, honestly I don't know that I'd do anything different, to tell you the truth, as I had a job I loved, but it required me to work very long hours and was stressful (not good for headaches).   It wasn't possible for me to live on oxy at that time, because I was handling surgical instruments, etc., but am taking it now as I'm retired.  I'm taking care of my body, especially diet now, having eliminated many, many foods from my daily meal plan and most importantly keeping myself as hydrated as possible.

The education that came along with this indicated that it's very important to determine if the kidney or liver is responsible for "clearance" of the medication one is taking.  Though all are processed though the liver, not all clear though the liver.  If you know you have an issue with one of those organs already, then avoiding medications which "clear" through that organ is a good idea.

God bless all who are in a daily struggle with pain.

Trusted Contributor

I take Voltaren daily to manage RA.  I also use the Voltaren gel topically when a joint is acting up.

Whenever I have an EKG or get my BP checked, they say my heart is remarkably healthy.  I exercise regularly, eat well and keep my weight in check, so that's got to count for something.  I'm not going to quit taking my Voltaren because of this news report.  I'd rather have the heart attack than live with that pain.  Only a fellow RA sufferer can understand.