Contributor

Hi Gracies Mom!! I've been thinking about you all week!!!! I pray everything went well with your surgery!!!!!! Just wanted to send you some hugs!!! Please keep us updated when you can!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Happy New Year Loopy & Cookie!!!!

Hope you both had a wonderful Christmas!! Would enjoy hearing the details of your holiday when you have a chance!

We went down state and visited with Joe's family--we had an enjoyable visit. It was great seeing our three great-nieces (ages 5,2 and 8 months). Food was good, exchanging gifts was fun and watching Gracie pal around with her doggy cousin Tino was priceless (she wore herself out running around the house with him). All in all, it was a good day.

On a down note, my Mom was admitted to the hospital Sunday morning--seems she had an infection on her good leg that the doctor was concerned about. She is still in the hospital, although I was told she might be going back to her nursing home today or tomorrow. I haven't spoken to the doctor that's treating her yet, so I have no idea what's going on with her. I did speak to a geriatric doctor after she was admitted and she was concerned with a few things--Mom's low weight (104 lbs--but she was only 80 lbs when she went into the nursing home!), two bed sores (I didn't know about that) and problems with her memory (or as the doctor put it--"cognitive issues")---we're not sure if it is the morphine messing with her mental capacity--or if she is becoming demented. Not a good way to start the new year, but I just have to deal with what is--I'm doing the best I can for my Mom, even though she doesn't realize it.

I have a CAT scan scheduled for Jan 11th (am happy I was able to get it done on a Saturday so Joe doesn't have to take a day off of work)--then see my surgeon on Jan 27th andy the radiation doc on feb 4th (wish me luck!). Joe also needs a colonoscopy--which will be done in February--his three year follow-up after a polyp removal. I really didn't want to start 2014 off with so many doctor appointments--but, so be it.

What did you two do for New Year's? We stayed home last night (New Year's Eve) and I made a big, fat, gooey lasagna!!! No plans for today--staying home relaxing. We're expecting a snow storm Thursday into Friday--I took the rest of this week off from work, but Joe has to go in tomorrow. He told me he will probably stay home on Friday if we get a snow storm--he's tired of fighting with the weather--plus it is supposed to be bone chilling cold on Friday and Joe is working on an outside job. I received a new crock-pot as one of my Christmas gifts--guess I'll make a hot & hearty dinner with it on Friday (a recipe I call "mish-mosh"--browned ground beef, baby carrots, peas, onions, celery and cream of mushroom soup--cooked in a crock-pot for four hours--then served over rice or wide noodles--yummy to the extreme!!).

Hope 2014 brings lots of good health, fun and happiness for all of us!!!!!!!

Love & Hugs,

GM

Super Contributor

~~*HAPPY NEW YEAR GM AND COOKIE!!*~~ I hope you're both doing well! I'm tired of winter already, and it's only January! It's been a rainy mess the last few days, but at least we don't have to shovel it--this would have been a lot of snow!

GM--I've been thinking of you today--how did your CAT scan go? Let me know how you made out--great, I hope! I'm so sorry to hear the news about your mom. I'm really glad that she put on weight at the home, but sad about the bedsores--they really need to tend to that, and I hope they cleared up her leg infection, because those sorts of discomforts only add to their confusion and loss of cognition. I'm sending good thoughts and well wishes your way!

cookie--I hope you had wonderful holidays, too! I can only imagine how difficult, stressful and tiring it must have been to move, and sell the house with all the cleaning typically involved, and prepare for Christmas, too! I can imagine because my folks bought their first house and moved in on Christmas Eve day! I remember being 6 yrs. old sitting on the empty living room floor, playing with some dollies while things were being moved in! Let me know how everything went--I'm hoping, well!

On New Year's Eve we were going to go to a restaurant in town at 8:00 for dinner. (We always went out with our friends, but sadly we all haven't been able to do that the last couple of years, due to some health issues.) Anyway, it was so bitter cold that we decided to go to a different restaurant at 5:00 instead! Two dorky early birds--hahaha--but the dinner was delicious, and we were really happy when it got even colder and we were already home, snug as a bug in a rug! My friend hosted her annual New Year's Day bacchanalia--she's happier to just have the party, and it makes it easier for her. We all had a great time, and by the time she finished feeding us, we all knew what our New Year's resolution would be--dieting!!!

I'm wishing you both the happiest, healthiest New Year, filled with lots of love and laughter! And as always, a wish for peace.

Valued Contributor

**Hello Dear Loopy!!**

You are so sweet to ask about my Mom--and my CAT scan…...

My Mom isn't doing well--her body and mind are failing. Every time my phone rings, I jump--thinking it's the nursing home with bad news. She was finally discharged from the hospital after seven days--the infection in her leg was better--but there is only so much they can do. I'm going to try to get down to the nursing home this Saturday (if it isn't snowing)--I speak to my Mom every three days or so, but she sounds awful--very weak and not always lucid--she perked up when I told her I will try to come see her. Will keep you ladies informed.

As for my CAT scan, I couldn't have it done--it was rescheduled for this Monday (Jan 20). I had a slight reaction to the contrast dye when I had my last scan in June--a few hives on my back--I took Benadryl when I got home and didn't think much about it. Come to find that it is a big deal--my next reaction could be fatal! I have to be pre-medicated with steroids 13 hours, then 7 hours, then 1 hour before the scan--and also with Benadryl--before the technicians will touch me. It was a wasted trip--waste of time & gasoline! good thing it was a Saturday and Joe didn't miss a day of work for nothing! Ugh, there's always an issue…….anyway, will let you know my results when I know---probably not until my Jan 27 appointment with my oncology surgeon.

Sounds like you had a wonderful New Year's Eve and Day, Loopy!! Wonderful!!

Cookie--Are you out there?? Please let us know how you are and what's been happening!!

Time for me to feed Gracie, then head off to work…...

Love & God Bless,

GM

Valued Contributor

Just wanted to let Loopy & Cookie know……….

WOOHOO!!! Great news!!! My CAT scan was fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see my surgeon on Monday (Jan 27)…………..wish me luck!!!!!!!

Hugs,

GM

Contributor
Good morning ladies!!!! Soooooo sorry for being out of the "loop"!!! It was so nice to catch up on your posts!!!!!!! I'm glad you both had nice holidays!!! HOORAY GM on your CAT scan results!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! What a relief!!!!!!!!! I know what you're talking about when you described the allergic reaction you had with the dye. That happened to my husband--he had hives head to toes. The next time he needed a similar test, he wasn't able to for fear he could have a worse reaction. I can't recall what exactly we did--I think they did a different type of test all together. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom!!! That makes me very sad!!!!! She will be in my prayers!!!!!!! Hopefully you were able to visit her!!!! My mom ended up having emergency surgery on her heart to drain fluid. It was crazy--she was only to be in the hospital one to two overnights but it ended up being 5 days!! She had more fluid than they thought and her dr said she's lucky to be here to tell the tale!!!!!! I felt sorry for her because her stay was over the period when we had a foot of snow, so visitors were limited!!!! And of course she insisted no one visit. But that didn't keep everyone away!! Lol. Unfortunately I couldn't go for a variety of reasons--snow, work and moving!! Plus, no one realized she would be there that long--each day we would think that's the day she would be coming home!!! But I felt really guilty about that--I guess that's why I would call her 3-5 times each day she was there!!! Lol. The nurses teased her about that!!! And speaking of nurses, they were truly wonderful there---my mother still can't say enough wonderful things about how well they cared for her!!! I want to send them a thank you note telling them how much I appreciate all they did for her!!!! Anyway, mom is home recovering and doing very well--in fact I saw her last weekend and she's doing well--probably doing too much!!! Lol Good news--we settled on the house!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!! What a stress off our backs---it was a lot of work trying to move everything out with the weather we have been having---talk about bad luck--nothing was easy that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!! It seemed like the weather had it in for us!!!!! Between the snow, ice and temps!!!! The kids have had 5 snow days already--and it's snowing now as I write this!!!!!!!!!! I can NOT wait for spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I have to cut this short--my DH is giving me dirty looks lol. That's because I pulled my back (don't ask lol). And he's been making me ice it--and I'm past due for my next icing!!! Lol. I keep telling him when I'm done typing this--which of course is taking me forever because I'm doing it with one finger on the iPad!!! So I'll sign off now and write more later Hugs to you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super Contributor

Hi GM and cookie!!

GM--I'm so sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well--I know your visit will be just what the doctor ordered! But I'm so delighted that your CAT scan came back A-OK (and no allergic reaction--how scary!!!) What great news!! Thanks for sharing it!! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow for sure--fingers crossed!! I know you're in good hands with your surgeon--he sounds like a great guy! Please keep us posted!

cookie--I'm so thrilled that your mom came came through that emergency surgery with flying colors! I know it must have been so stressful, especially with everything else you've had going on. I'm so happy that she received such wonderful treatment--such a blessing! and that she is recovering nicely at home! And what great news about the house settlement! But it was supposed to take stress off your back, not have you pull your back! That can be so painful--take good care of yourself, and listen to your hubby (even though we don't like to admit when they're right--hahahaha!)

It's been so freezing cold and so snowy, that I haven't seen the light of day in weeks, except to fill in with groceries when the hubby is home on the weekend with his 4 wheel drive! What a winter! I'm counting down the days until spring, and trying to delude myself into thinking it's sooner, because I'm noticing it's ever so slightly lighter, ever so slightly later! (Any port in a storm, to keep me on this side of sanity!!) Take care and be well both of you!

A mountain of hugs bigger than our snowdrifts! ((((((((((())))))))))

Valued Contributor

**Hi Cookie & Loopy**

I spoke too soon, my dear friends……my CAT scan was not "all clear"…….saw my surgeon four days ago. My exam went well--he didn't feel anything amiss--however, my scan showed a 1 cm soft tissue mass in my pelvis that wasn't there before--on the left side.The surgeon said he wasn't too worried, but he wants me to show the scan (I have the disk) to my radiation doctor when I see him this coming Wednesday--he wants his opinion if we should take a wait & see attitude--or if I should have a PET scan to see if the mass is anything to be concerned about. I also have radiation cystitis--a common occurrence after pelvic radiation--I have to ask what can be done for that. It doesn't hurt, but it's annoying--I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom. I'm more worried about the new mass--however--it also could be from the radiation itself--something benign.

Of course, my Joe is worried sick about me---I have good days & not so good days right now--until I hear something positive from the radiation doctor. Why is it nothing goes smoothly since I was diagnosed??

Please say a prayer or two for me.

Love,

GM

Super Contributor

Oh no, GM! I've been thinking and thinking about you, and just assumed everything was hunky dory--I hope you'll be able to go to your appt. tomorrow, and not be delayed because of the weather (we'll be getting walloped by another snowstorm followed by an ice storm--oh joy) I know how it is to wait for results--the anticipation can just make us a wreck. Here's hoping the little mass is benign and part of the radiation cystitis. I'll be holding you in my heart, and waiting to hear from you, with fingers crossed--sending healing thoughts and wishes your way! Please let me know how you make out--I'll be looking out for you!

Valued Contributor

*Loopy*

You are so sweet!!

Unfortunately, I think I live in the same area you do (but upstate) and we are getting a terrible snow storm today--we have about 11 inches or so right now--Joe is outside snow blowing before it turns to ice (he had to stay home from work as his bus wasn't running).

My radiation doctor appointment was canceled for the third time--my new appointment is this Monday at 11:30am, but now I hear we are supposed to get another snow storm Sunday into Monday!! I couldn't stand it if my appointment has to be canceled again!! I've decided to try and not dwell on it until Monday---I was getting myself sick with worry when I got my results--I just stopped functioning!--and that's a waste of time. I feel OK and everyone tells me I look great--I can't believe anything might be wrong with me again.

On top of that, Joe will be losing his job on Friday--when it rains, it pours! He already put feelers out for a new job--we cannot afford for him to be out of work for any length of time--I have a stack of bills to pay! Turns out his shop slowed down--they placed the men that have been with them the longest on Joe's job--and are letting go of the men that are already there--not fair, I know--but that's the way it works. Hopefully Joe can latch onto a new job quickly---I cannot deal with worrying about so many things at once.

Thank you for your friendship, love and support dear Loopy!!!! I will post what the radiation doctor tells me when I finally see him--when it stops snowing!!!!!

Hugs,

GM