Valued Contributor

Re: Pacemaker Surgery Anyone?

Each person experiences medical events differently. What I know is from the experience of my mother.
I am speaking as the daughter of someone who has worn a pacemaker for over 7 yrs.

The way we look at it is that it is helping to save my mother's life. My mother in 2012 had two aortic dissections six months apart. After the second surgery and after being released from CICU and put in a wing of cardiac care she had a seizure in front of me and my then 3 yr old nephew. That day she had a pacemaker implanted sort of up by the left shoulder blade area. 

Every 3-4 months she has it monitored to see how things are going. So far so good. It has helped her heart when needed (so the monitoring report tells us). She has flown and gone on trips. You will need a pat down when flying and not go thru the scanner. There is a card you can print up on the TSA sight that request this.

As I opened this response --each person experiences things differently. I can say that my mother (who has 7 kids and 12 grandkids) is able and was able to enjoy life as it has come. There have been ups and downs --we lost my father 2 yrs ago-- but she has been able to experience life and the pacemaker --I believe has helped.

Honored Contributor

@msgb 

Thank you for adding to this thread and for sharing your own personal story of your mother. I am happy she was, and is still able to enjoy her life, and her pacemaker, as you say, has helped her.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut,

My cousin has been like this since his 20’s, so my opinion is there’s no psychiatrist on earth who could fix him!   

Between both sides of his family, this cousin should have realized long ago he was never going to outrun genetics.   He came out of service believing his strict eating habits, and lifestyle, was his key to being healthier than our grandparents, who died quickly.    

This cousin inherited HIGH cholesterol from his dad, which CANNOT be controlled by just diet.  The medications have affected his liver, and intestines.  Adding the heart condition on top of previous issues has finally made him realize he’s not leaving this world “healthy”, and he could’ve enjoyed a cookie or two along the way!   

Trusted Contributor

Speak to the cardiologist.  In the meantime, consult reputable sites such as the Mayo Clinic and look for online videos that simulate the procedure.  My father had two pacemakers and they (along with the Lord, we think) saved and prolonged his life.  He was not bohered by implantation or wearing it.  The at-home testing was simple and many models have wireless testing and you return to the cardiac center several times a year, depending on your case, for evaluation.

Honored Contributor

My father and brother and a couple of friends have pacemakers. No issues that I’m aware of for any of them.
Valued Contributor

My dad had a pacemaker for 20 years,My mom has one too.Never had any problems.They had check ups every few years.

My cousin's father in law died last year at 95.At the end of his life the doctor said he had no heartbeats,the pacemaker kept him alive longer.

It is nice to ask posters about their experiences.We all consult our doctors.