Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. 

Thank you for asking about my hubby.  It's been 4 years for him. This PSA numbers were less than 1 in his last two PSA tests.   His doctors say they will continue to monitor it. 

I wish your husband complete healing. 

Honored Contributor

I know actor, Ben Stiller, had the surgery, he has spoken about it often on TV interviews. So has TV shrink, Dr Drew Pinsky. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@TurnerGal  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. 

Thank you for asking about my hubby.  It's been 4 years for him. This PSA numbers were less than 1 in his last two PSA tests.   His doctors say they will continue to monitor it. 

I wish your husband complete healing. 

@Mary Bailey  thank you so much.  I am so glad to hear your husband is doing well.  My husband is 55 and had his first PSA a few months ago.  His number was 15.5 so very concerning.   He got back his biopsy and he had several 6's.   We go to see the Urology in 10 days.  I have been researching online,  It was good to hear your husband did well with his treatment.

Honored Contributor

My dh has prostate cancer. They've been doing active surveillance the past few years but his last biopsy had him just entering the moderate cancer numbers. Two choices were radiation or surgical removal. He chose surgery. Ladie,s insist that your husbands get their yearly PSA tests. This was the only indication anything was wrong with my dh. He's got a great doctor and I can't wait until we can put this all behind us. Good luck to those going through this.

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

My husband is a 14 yr prostate cancer survivor.  He was diagnosed at age 54. Before we started reviews on what to do I had the biopsy results sent to John Hopkins for a second opinon.  He had three options, surgery,  brachytherapy or cyberknife.  There wasn't much data on the cyberkinfe for prostate at the time.  He chose brachytherapy.  He's been fine every since. We were told it is hereditary.  My son has been tested every year snce he was 40. I keep hearing younger and younger men are getting prostate cancer.  It's not an expensive test, if insurance won't pay for it because they say you are too young than pay out of pocket.              

Honored Contributor

Re: PROSTATE CANCER

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@bootsanne --Please use a bigger font.

Several men I know, some very good friends, were diagnosed with prostate cancer. Their decisions on what route to take varied with the degree of the cancer.

2 of them went the surgical  route, plus Radiation. Others had Chemo and Radiation. All of them survived, but with different outcomes. Their daily lives changed in several respects which took a lot of life changes for all of them.

Prostate cancer is also a preventable form of cancer for most men. The ones I know well that had this cancer, refused to have a digital exam and/or a PSA exam. When they started to have issues is when they finally went to their doctors.

There are several cancers that can be prevented, or at least minimized,  by having regular available preventive exams. It's a shame so many, especially the Male gender, do not take this more seriously,  UNTIL!

hckynut

@hckynut   

My DH went for his check-ups, but as I found out too late, his so-called doctor said they didn't test older men, unbelievable, because it is usually older men who get it, not always.  I demanded he insist on a PSA which he did, and it was high, but his doctor told him to go back in three months for another.  I nagged and nagged DH to go back within the month, but he waited longer, and after my nagging and emailing him information on the subject, he did go back and it was too late, he had a fast growing cancer.  Then, during covid, he had to wait.  I had DH call the insurance company to hurry it along.  Even the oncologist said that those in her field would tell the PC doctors to test older men because they saw a lot of men with prostate cancer due to no PSA testing.

He has been undergoing treatment for a few years now, after a cyberknife procedure, now gets injections every four months.