Honored Contributor

PPI's for GERD and Osteoporosis

I have been taking Prevacid for years for asthma related GERD, I am now told to cut back by my Rhumetoogist that the is a correlation between PPI's and Osteoporosis.

I cut back by 1/2 and the GERD is starting to come back

Has any one heard of this correlation.

thanks all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: PPI's for GERD and Osteoporosis

@I am still oxox

Yes, increased risk for osteoporosis and kidney disease from long term use.

From NCBI  - "PPIs have been associated with an increased risk of a number of adverse effects including osteoporotic-related fractures, Clostridium difficile infection, community-acquired pneumonia, vitamin B12 deficiency, kidney disease, and dementia, demonstrated by a number of case-control, cohort studies, and meta-analyses. Older adults should be periodically evaluated for the need for continued use of PPI therapy given the number of potential adverse effects associated with long-term use."

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't heard of that side efffect, and I'm on PPIs for years for GERD. I did hear of Google, though, so I put the two terms together, PPI and osteoporosis and here's a two year old article from the NIH saying there is some implication, but no proven correlation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27224743

I found this, too, but it was a very small cohort study, also 2016:

https://www.endocrinologyadvisor.com/bone-metabolism/ppi-use-increases-osteoporosis-risk-in-femur/ar...

Oddly, there are no more recent studies or published results with this connection of medication to bone risk. If it were commonly proven, I  think there would be more published and more recent references. 

I'm not changing my dosage of the prescription PPI I take daily. My doctor has not referenced this concern and he's usually on top of current medical reporting.

Of course, you should be guided by your own professional health advisors. But I think it's less of a risk than your doc is asserting.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

I have been taking twice the normal dose of Nexium for many years now, though I have been diagnosed with GERD, I have never experienced a single symptom. The Nexium is to control my Barrett's Esophagas, which it has done.

I had a DexiScan yesterday to check my bone density. I had this done because my Nephew--in-law, whom I saw for my broken nose and wrist last week, thought it would be a good idea. Saw him in lieu of my regular GP because I could not get in to see him for a week. Hey! It helps to have connections when I need them!

With as many ice skating falls that I have had on my left hip bone in the last many months, without a break, I can't imagine having porous bones. But one never knows, better to find out before than after.

I don't view Nexium as a reason for my broken nose, as it has been broken 8 times previous to my latest skating fall. Will update when I get the results of my Scan.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox, @gizmogal,

They are recommending PPIs be used sort term.

I had terrible side effects from Protonix and asked several times to be taken off.

My side effects were dangerous, painful, and were actually creating additional medical problems.

My Dr refused because of the seriousness of the reason they were prescribed in the first place.

After a year of asking it to be stopped my Dr hesitantly cut my dose in half, to please me. By then I'd developed osteopenia, and a heart rhythm issue, debilitating muscle cramps that prevented me from driving, and horrific bathroom problems.  

I continued with awful side effects for another year.

I finally decided to just stop taking it.

On my next Dr visit (not the one who's prescribed it) I told him I'd stopped taking it, and why, and that I'd increased my antacid intake to compensate. 

He told me that was fine, and the evidence was mounting against long term use of PPIs. They're great for short term use only.

He wrote on the notes that he'd DCd my Protonix.

Frequent Contributor

You have to wean off PPis or you can get rebound acid which is bad, so I would think you'd need to slowly cut back.  Like, take a whole pill on day 1, half a pill on day two...for a week or two.  Then take a whole pill, followed by half a pill for 2 days, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

it is amazing how many awful side effects are listed on the volumes of paperwork they give you with almost any prescription now. It is only to protect the doctor, pharmacist, and drug company from liability....it is not to provide the patient with info to help their well-being. Take time to read all of the info...it can be sobering and it also may help you understand if you are experiencing any listed side effects

Respected Contributor

For those who decide to wean off of PPI’s, extended time release pills should not be cut in half. You will need a different plan.