Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE HELP...So confused about SOYMILK

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@lindseyemmie wrote:

Is NON GMO, ORGANIC SOYMILK healthy or not???? So many different opinions on the internet. Love to know how you feel about soymilk. Thank you in advance.

Have a wonderful day. Hugs

The way it was explained to me by family is fermented soy that is in soy sauce and natto have health benefits. Unfermented soy is not good for the body that is in soymilk.  @lindseyemmie 

Thisis how I understood it too.

Honored Contributor

Fermented soy is important...here in the states, it’s miso, kimchi..

those are the items readily available in many conventional markets

Soy sauce?  I’ve never seen soy sauce being used as a ‘health’ source.  

Yes it’s fermented, but extremely high in sodium (even the labeled

‘low sodium’) to be used in small amounts as flavoring only. 

Miso, kimchi, sauerkraut...all in the refrigerated section of the grocery,

are good (but can be high in sodium, as well).  

For ultimate health benefit?  

Sprout your own soybeans.

Make your own soy milk. 

Honored Contributor

The only soy I really use is edamame.  I like it in salads on occasion.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot Cows make milk pregnant or not. As long as they are being milked they will continue to make milk.Supply and demand.We had a milk cow when I was a child and there was no bull anywhere around so no pregnancy.

A woman can have a child 6 years old and still be breast feeding them- she's not pregnant. As long as the milk is being taken the breast will produce it. 

Lactation means making milk.

And the milk contains estrogen.

So you think cow's estrogen is good for you?

The conversation is about cows, but...all I hear are crickets. 

Honored Contributor

Try to find soymilk that does not contain Carrageenan , a plant that is used as a thickener, it is not recommended for comsumption. You can read about this on Dr Andrew Weil's site.

Esteemed Contributor

@lindseyemmie

If you're looking for an alternative to cow's milk and are buying into all the years long hype about soy milk and soy this and soy that, please know that soy is not the end-all food product.  Yes, people are allergic to it who have never come up allergic to anything else (by a fluke and during tests, I learned I'm allergic to it. What? - was my reaction.)  It does add an off-putting taste to liquid drinks.  There are better sources of non-meat protein out there.

Frankly, I prefer unsweetened, unflavored almond milk.  It's light in texture and taste and I can add it to my one cup of decaf, without it tasting yucky.  I don't add it to tea, though.  AND - my husband will drink it.  Woo-Hoo!!!  Honestly, almond milk has so much over soy milk it's ridiculous.  That's just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Is there estrogen in cow's milk?
Dairy milk promotes excess estrogen in the body due to it containing estrogen from female cows. At the same time, milk naturally contains androgenic properties, so it raises testosterone in the body and can cause bulking quickly  Dec 24, 2014

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*