Valued Contributor

Both my parents smoked, my Mom when pregnant many years ago when they didn't know its effects.   Both quit after 30+ years.    I was so proud of them.   My father died of lung cancer, but not sure it was from smoking or other issues.

I can't tolerate cigarette smoke.   I have no patience for people  who smoke in public places and ruin the air I breathe.

Cigarettes and cigars are lethal.  I think they should be banned from all public establishments, both inside and out.

I really sympathize for your loss and heartache.   Wish we could have a world devoid of all the unhealthy things that can effect the multitudes. Smoking is not a personal thing, it affects all our lives who are subjected to it.

Honored Contributor

I have always hated cigarettes.  My thoughts and prayers are certainly with halfpint1 and kitty4me with what they are facing.   

I married a smoker, and spent the early years of our marriage trying to convince him to quit.   He didn't, and I took that personally.   Every decade after my husband turned 40 has brought more serious health problems.   At 81, my mother smokes like a chimney, and has no intentions of quitting.  In the last few years I have stopped saying anything to my mother or my husband about their smoking, because I accept they have made their choices.   They made their choices about smoking long before I was ever a part of their lives----their smoking is not about me.  

For the first time ever, I comprehend my mother's words when she says she enjoys smoking and has no intention of quitting.  I have watched my mother live her life as a devoted daughter, sister, wife, mother, and friend.  She is the last surviving member of her family.  Mom hid under my grandparents front porch and retrieved cigarettes tossed in the yard, before she ever started school.  For as long as she can remember, she has craved cigarettes.   

My husband was smoking in junior high.  At 20, he was dropped into the jungles of Vietnam as an Army medic, where he spend the next year of his life.   Uncle Sam delivered cigarettes and alcohol as routinely as the deliveries of food and supplies.  My husband gave up drinking when he left the military, but has smoked for 50 years.  Every week I scrub nicotine laced soap scum off our shower, wash his nicotine saturated bath towels, and know that someone who emits that much nicotine thru the pores of their skin, will never be able to give up cigarettes.   

Aging has helped me understand the choices we make.  I don't have to like my mothers or my husbands choices; but when all is said and done, I want to know my mother and my husband lived their lives for themselves.   

Honored Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

@halfpint1 ~ I am sorry for what you and your family are going through.

My dad is nearly 88 years old and was a Camel, non filter cigarette smoker even since I can recall.  He had triple bypass when he was 62 and quit for a few years.  Then, 3 years ago he had an aortic valve replacement and never picked up another cigarette. 

DH developed stage IV bladder CA when he was 46 (he just turned 70).  When his PCP was discussing DH's case with his partner, the senior partner asked if the patient smoked.  PCP said, "Yes".  Senior partner said, "that's the #1 cause of bladder CA".  DH never picked up another cigarette the day of surgery.  He also used to embibe a bit and he never touched alcohol for years after.  He now has an occasional beer or glass of wine but those are far and few between.

Hospice is a good choice and I believe it's good for up to one year.  At least when my mom was in a nursing home, that's the way it was but, I'm now sure about now.

My 95 year old Father Who was living on his own and still driving  was diagnosed with bladder cancer and died 4 weeks later. He never smoked a day in his life. Cancer happens to anybody. 

Trusted Contributor

I thank you so much RedTop for your kind words and wisdom. I wish I had quit along time ago and if I knew I could quit cold turkey as I did I would have. Smoking has affected my Blood Sugar, my Heart and now my Lung. I'm just devastated and now have to have Mass removed, some Lymph Nodes removed and a Lobectomy. And I hope no Cancer comes back. I'm frightened beyond belief. I go see my Surgeon to discuss my Surgery and set a date that I'm sure will be very soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty4me Terribly sorry you are going through this. Man Sad

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kitty4me

While this is a topic that is very important to me, and I am interested in what you have to say?

I cannot read a 1 long paragraph post.

hckynut(john)

She has lung cancer and she probably typed it on her IPAD which doesn't allow for paragraphs. Since you made your type so large, surely you could have increased the size of her post.

I wish her well and hope that her cancer goes into remission.

Honored Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

I thank you so much RedTop for your kind words and wisdom. I wish I had quit along time ago and if I knew I could quit cold turkey as I did I would have. Smoking has affected my Blood Sugar, my Heart and now my Lung. I'm just devastated and now have to have Mass removed, some Lymph Nodes removed and a Lobectomy. And I hope no Cancer comes back. I'm frightened beyond belief. I go see my Surgeon to discuss my Surgery and set a date that I'm sure will be very soon.

Praying for your rapid recovery. Don't be hard on yourself. Remember back in the day when no one knew the dangers of smoking and so many people got hooked. It was very difficult to quit too because nicotine is so addictive.

So please take care of yourself and I give you my best....

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Trinity11, I go to see my Surgeon today and I have many questions to ask and I hope get answers too. I have never had a Major Surgery so this is my first and last  I hope.                                                                                                                         

On the bright side both my Sons and Husband will be there with me. Wish me Luck today. I hope you all stay Healthy.

Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow thank you so very much.

Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE DO NOT SMOKE

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11

I have empathy for @kitty4me that has Lung Cancer and I wish her well. While I usually would ramble on about that, the purpose of this post is in reply to my post about font colors and size.

I am typing this on a tablet, an Android 5.0. The only thing I know about the "I" guys products? I won't spend the money they want for any of them. If you can't separate paragraphs, I would like to think you can add------------------------- in between them?

It isn't the size of the font, it is that nature of trying to follow words that seem to be separated only by a "." period. I use the same font size for all of my posts when using this Android tablet. Once in  blue moon I increase it for effect, if there is such a thing.

I spent many years, actually well over 2 decades, fighting for the rights of non-smokers(which even then were a majority). I worked for AT&T and worked on this project on my own time. This was done both "before and after my working hours(my job ran 24 hours a day, 3 shifts)", getting signatures and talking with co-workers, most whom I did not know, getting petitions signed. First petition was just to get a " Smoke Free" area to take our breaks and eat our lunches.

By the time I retired I had gotten the WHOLE AT&T building to be Smoke Free. Smokers had to go outside to smoke(they were now relegated to where us non-smokers had eaten lunch for many years).

I also worked to get City/County and State Public Buildings to be Smoke Free. Again, meetings with Public Officials, many signed petitions, but I did achieve many of my goals.

That is why I said that even though this topic was very important to me, so is my time and my eyesight.

Thank you for the information you provided and I wish @kitty4me the best in getting well, and that she also remembers  to: "Pay it Forward" to try to help others.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)