Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1

I am sorry you are having to work through these trying times. As I said in a reply about "Colon Cancer". It is a terrible shame that those that refuse to take preventative measures for their own health either do not realize, or do not care, what they potentially will be doing to those that love them?

Unfortunately I have seen many of my friends loved ones try to live through health issues that could have, more than likely, been prevented. I saw the friend that was losing their health because of their own choices, as being selfish and thinking only of themselves, even after being diagnosed.

Pulled out my first soapbox in 1967. That is when nobody was allowed to smoke in my homes or my vehicles. Sure, I got a lot of negative comments, but all of them went in 1 ear and out the other.

While I have empathy for anyone battling a potentially deadly disease, my sympathy goes to their care takers, which usually are their loved ones? 

I am so sorry you are left with only 1 person to help you deal with everything you are going through.I wish the best for all of you, including your husband, and want you to  know my thoughts will be with you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@kitty4me

While this is a topic that is very important to me, and I am interested in what you have to say?

I cannot read a 1 long paragraph post.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@halfpint1  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.  It always breaks my heart to see people being controlled by that horrible habit.  I'm so thankful I never started it.  I'm divorced, but my former MIL, who was a wonderful person, had asthma and emphysema, but still professed she would never give up her cigarettes.  When she was about 72, she was diagnosed with lung cancer.  When I went to visit her, she told me she had quit smoking as soon as she was diagnosed.  I said that must have been really, really difficult.  Her reply to me was that it actually was easy!  I was so taken aback.........What a shame she hadn't done it sooner.   She succumbed to the disease soon after.

After my 2 bouts with PE and Aspiration Pneumonia, I attended 16 Pulmonary Rehab Classes. I was the only one in any of those classes that was not on Oxygen, for most it was 24/7 with portable tanks. Everyone of them was diagnosed with COPD?

I made friends with many of them and most of them asked me why I did not have an Oxygen Tank? I explained my situation had more to do with Lung Blood Clots and scarred Lungs, mostly from my Aspiration Pneumonia and recovering from it?

Every single patient I spoke with had been a smoker for many years, some many decades. Almost everyone of them said pretty much the same thing, in different words but the meaning was the same.

"IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE QUIT WHEN", you can fill in after the word, WHEN? It was sad for me to watch these people do their best to try to exercise, but we all, at some point, are responsible for the decisions that we have made or make?

Anyone interested in quitting smoking would do themselves a favor to visit a COPD Pulmonary Rehab Facility and see what may be in their future. Look at the struggles and even talk with a patient, if allowed. You may come away with a stronger will and desire to quit and not be one that says:

" IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE QUIT WHEN"

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

When i was growing up in the 50's,and 60's, just about everyone smoked in the family,mom,dad,grandparents, aunts, my brother and i grew up always around the smoke,when i was in high school,i tried smoking, i just did not like it, my mom smoked since she was 16,she is about to turn 81, about 12 yrs. ago,they found early bladder cancer, she just stopped smoking, even seeing my dad die at 61 ,did not stop her, but once she knew she had a early cancer she stopped, i am so proud of her.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kitty4me

While this is a topic that is very important to me, and I am interested in what you have to say?

hckynut(jo

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kitty4me

hckynut(john)

Honestly,i can read that better,john than the large red,and blue print you use.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Honestly,i can read that better,john than the large red,and blue print you use.

Could be that you have better vision than my old eyes. One long paragraph not only is hard, visually for me to read, words also are too close together for me to follow what is said with any continuity. Very easy to put in paragraphs whether you are using a phone/tablet/TV set or a computer?

Not sure if you are aware that font size when typed on a tablet many times are not what they are on a computer. At least that is what I have found with our tablet versus computer versus our TV set browser. As for colors? I just like to change it up a bit? Which color would you prefer that I use for the context of my posts? I can give that some thought?

Guess if mine are harder for you to read? Do what I do and bypass them. Whatever works easiest for ya.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

When i was growing up in the 50's,and 60's, just about everyone smoked in the family,mom,dad,grandparents, aunts, my brother and i grew up always around the smoke,when i was in high school,i tried smoking, i just did not like it, my mom smoked since she was 16,she is about to turn 81, about 12 yrs. ago,they found early bladder cancer, she just stopped smoking, even seeing my dad die at 61 ,did not stop her, but once she knew she had a early cancer she stopped, i am so proud of her.

Old movies, even old books have everyone smoking.  My parents smoked with all of us kids in the car with the windows rolled up.    I'm the only one out of 8 kids that never started smoking.   

At one point everyone I knew smoked.  I used to tell people I was a second hand smoker.  People even asked when I quit smoking and couldn't believe I've never smoked.  I never figured that out.

Only one of my siblings quit smoking when my Mom got COPD.  One sister also got it and passed away, and I expect my brother will be next.  He chain smokes.

I guess people just never think it will happen to them until it actually does.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Also my husband started smoking when he was 9.  Stole his Mother's Pall Malls with his older brother.   He quit when he turned 52.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Thank you 2blonde. If I get get anyone to listen then that would be great. I may add I have a Sister who after they found what at the time a Nodule now not so much. While talking to my Sister she tells me she has three very small Nodules and were found not through a Chest Xray because they are to small. They found hers through a Cat Scan. Now because I have Cancer shae acts as if she has it. She doesn't and they are monitoring heres with Cat Scans. With all that has happened to me one would think that would make her quit smoking. Well it hasn't she sayd she is smoking less. I have been on her to quit since my Heart Attack less than two years ago. So thanks I'm trying very hard to learn from my mistakes and hope I live a long healthy life from here on out.Woman Happy

Super Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I have written before about dh and his health problems. He was in a hospital and then a nursing home. I just got a call his time with medicare is up and will be released this weekend. I can not afford $7,OOO. I called hospice and signed in hopes this will be helpful. I am scared for he looked awful when I was there last. He is on oxygen. I have only one child who helps me a lot for I do not drive. No other living relatives. Please wish the best for all of us. Again give up those cigarettes, he couldn't or didn't want to.

@halfpint1

I know you feel helpless, please do not it is not you and has noting to do with you.

It tobacco is proven to be as addicting as heroin.I grew up with smokers.

Just let him live his last years as he wants, no matter how selfish, and it hurts, and breaks your heart.

Its not you.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of others ~ sunshine&rainbows

It hurts so bad..