Valued Contributor

Re: PATIENT PORTALS - PRO OR CON?

Janey2...

I am with you----I never look at my test results until I see or speak to my doctors---it's easy to get frightened when you don't understand what results could mean (if they are not in range or using words that could mean anything--good or bad). I worked for groups of doctors as well as working as a certified medical records in-patient coder for 28 years. Back then doctors did not want patients to interpret their own test results--they wanted to speak to their patients first--to clarify what the results mean.

I suffer from cancer that keeps coming back---I NEVER look at any of my test reuslts before I see my oncologist--I would freak out if I saw abnormal results before getting an explanation from my doctor--sometimes they mean something, sometimes they don't. I know that everyone reacts differently---you have to do what's right for you--for me, I do not like patient portals and the idea of seeing test results before your doctor can interpret them.

Respected Contributor

I will be seeing a new dr in a few weeks and was told to use the same app as my other dr uses. Have not figured out how to use the same app for two different doctors. It won't let me set up a new password, etc for another dr. 

I do like the patient portals I have for two of my current doctors...different platforms. I like seeing my labwork results as soon as I can instead of waiting for the office to send it to me. The patient portals are only as good as the professionals who enter the info though.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23, if the doctor in question tells you to go on that app, he will input your medical report on there so that when you log on, you will automatically see it.There is only one doctor that is not on mine and that is because he doesn't use that portal.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I will be seeing a new dr in a few weeks and was told to use the same app as my other dr uses. Have not figured out how to use the same app for two different doctors. It won't let me set up a new password, etc for another dr. 

I do like the patient portals I have for two of my current doctors...different platforms. I like seeing my labwork results as soon as I can instead of waiting for the office to send it to me. The patient portals are only as good as the professionals who enter the info though.

@Trailrun23 there should be some sort of a drop down menu that will let you add providers if they are using the same portal.

That's how it is with MyChart.

Honored Contributor

I'm on MyChart and I'd say YES, very convenient BUT in the last couple of years I seem to be getting alerts to check out MyChart for everything and am often disappointed when I open the letter/message/etc because I don't find it relative or even necessrily important.  They need to keep it simple and I've been seeing it slowly change.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I'm on MyChart and I'd say YES, very convenient BUT in the last couple of years I seem to be getting alerts to check out MyChart for everything and am often disappointed when I open the letter/message/etc because I don't find it relative or even necessrily important.  They need to keep it simple and I've been seeing it slowly change.... 

@Q4u they also need to let people opt out (not just hide for 3 months) of the ridiculous amount a reminders on the home page.  This test, visit, vaccine, it's nuts.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's good for the reasons others' have said here. But be aware, if you use different healthcare providers in different regions, each uses a different MyChart,  although ALL are called MyChart, they are different portals and not affiliated with each other!  
Specifically, I had mammo and ultrasound done in a different region than my gyno, and I asked in advance if the that was a problem with the records being shared to the other portal. They said No, but never shared them. And it was difficult getting them to my gyno- 

So try to use providers in same region-