Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I wouldn't take any diet meds.  Next thing you know, word will come that it causes heart attacks or something dire.  To lose and keep it off, you'd probably be taking the pills for a lifetime.  If they're like the injections, they'll be extremely expensive and may not be insurance covered.

Commit to your diet and lose weight without pills.

Actually, FDA  studies show that ozempic reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke in cardiac patients with diabetes.  It reduces inflammation of blood vessels.

And yes, some people are on medication for years to help control their weight whether it be from insulin resistance or eating too many calories.  Either reason is a health hazard that cannot be taken lightly.  Just following a diet is not as simple as it sounds for many people.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Wow...the pills will prob be $10 each! There are two other companies also seeking FDA approval for pills that supposedly work the same way. Time to buy stock. 

@Trailrun23 

Eli Lilly makes Mounjaro.Think they are also approved for the pills. Supposedly one loses body fat, but! Like most other "weight loss pills", comes with the pretty standard, "with proper diet and exercise" statement.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I am not one to take any med without extensive research and caution.  Having said that I think Ozempic is a miracle for many suffering from obesity.  Genetics can be challenging for those suffering from obesity due to their ghrelin/lepin.

Ghrelin is a hormone your stomach produces and releases. It signals your brain when your stomach is empty and it’s time to eat. Ghrelin levels increase between mealtimes and decrease when your stomach is full. People who have obesity often genetically  have low ghrelin levels.

This drug will be life altering for those who suffer from constant hunger due to their Ghrelin levels.  Bariatric surgery can be life threatening and after several months the hunger often returns.  Ozempic offers an alternative.  I think this drug will be life changing for many.  The price and availability may offer challenges.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree   Has it been easy to get your prescription for Trulicity?  I'm hoping that these Ozempic type drugs will become more accessible and less expensive as time passes.  I think it is a gift for those who have been struggling throughout their lives with obesity.  Congratulations and best to you on this journey!  

@chrystaltree wrote:

Right now I'm using Trulicity for weight loss and the copay is $250 a month. It's weekly and it's the pen type of injection. It's not a syringe.  It's easy to use and completely painless.  The pill form of Ozempic would be much less expensive but the pill is daily.  I like the weekly injection.  It will be a while before it hits the market if the FDA approves it.  Plenty of time to think about it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie   

Every drug has side-effects.  Every single one. 

That being the case, it's up to the individual's situation (like other medications he/she takes and pre-existing conditions) to determine whether the benefits of taking a weight-loss drug outweigh the risks or the risks outweigh the benefits.

The trick is keeping the weight off.  I know.  I lost 100 lbs 16 years ago and know what I have to do each and every day to maintain my low weight. (diet and exercise and emotional well-being).

Respected Contributor

if my dr. would prescribe it for me, i'd take it. being obese causes health issues, too. I'd like it for the first 50# and get more mobile, to continue exercise without pain.

Esteemed Contributor
For myself, I do not like taking medications. Sometimes I have to follow Dr's advice and take the drug they prescribed. I'm not sure i would take these new diet drugs, but I don't begrudge others who feel the need to try something to help them. I do not believe there is only 1 way to lose weight.

I know a couple of folks who had bariatric surgery and for one of them, it was a positive experience. For the other, although she lost weight, it led to a not great result for her over all health.

I currently know 2 people who were prescribed the rx shots for losing weight/controlling type 2 diabetes....so far both are doing great...and it has been a positive experience. Both struggled for years with losing weight and with keeping it off. In both cases, their weight severely impacted their overall health, as well as their mental health.

My long winded point is each person needs to find out what works for them, discuss with doctor and family the pros and cons...then reevaluate their success over time.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 

"My long winded point". Really, have you ever read any of my posts? Some call them novels!  =^..^=

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@kate2357 

"My long winded point". Really, have you ever read any of my posts? Some call them novels!  =^..^=

hckynut 🇺🇸

Why yes John...I have read many of your wellness posts. I don't always agree, but I always find them interesting. 😊

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo Thank you for a very well thought out post. I was obese and diabetic. Last September 1, I started on Mounjaro to help me with the diabetes and lose weight. Since then, I have lost 70 lbs. I feel so much better. Because of the diabetes, my insurance has paid for my Mounjaro. 

Studies show that Obesity is a hormonal problem. I remember my mother saying "no body wants to be fat." She was right, who wishes to be obese? I stayed at a very good weight until my 30's. I actually had undiagnosed Pituatary tumrs that secreated Prolactin, making my body think it was pregnant. That was when the weight really came on.

Fast forward, 17 years, when I was diagnosed with the tumors and put into remission, the weight remained. I went on WW and lost 58 pounds, and was feeling pretty good.

My mother's health started to decline and so did my ability to access and prepare healthy food. I was managing all of her care.

Mom died in 2019 and I tried again to lose weight but was unable. I started with a new primary MD and she sent me to Endocrinology because of my history of the Pituitary Tumors. The Endocrinologist is the doctor that put me on Mounjaro. I think he and my primary MD saved my life. My primary MD told me about the benefits of the medication to the heart. 

I am 65 now, 70 pounds lighter than I was a year ago, and doing so much better. The hormones in the medication make me feel like I am full and satisfied. I think it is a game changer for someone like me. The doctors told me that I was a perfect candidate for it. Most of my weight was in my stomach. It is awful to live like that, trying to lose weight but being unable. 

Losing weight by diet and exercise alone is not easy. If it was, we would all be a good weight and there would be no need to sell diet plans. I hope people finally realize that there is help out there, and the naysayers realize obesity is a disease, not a matter of willpower. 

The drugs out right now, except Wegovy, are not for weight loss only and not for those who need to lose a small amount of weight. I was lucky to get the Mounjaro and  doctors who takes very good care of me. I never thought I could have lost all of this weight. My A1C is 5.2 now and the diabetes is in remission. 

I hope those who need this medications are able to access them. I think there are bright horizons coming to the people who suffer obesity. I was very afraid to do surgery for weight loss and the injections are doing the trick for me.