Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

if my dr. would prescribe it for me, i'd take it. being obese causes health issues, too. I'd like it for the first 50# and get more mobile, to continue exercise without pain.

@10sluvr, say it louder for the people in the back!  My other health issue is osteoarthritis and it's puts me in a catch 22.  I used to exercise a lot!  Kept my weight down with diet.  BUT, my exercises caused more pain in my knees and feet.  I'd slow down and get better.  Start working out again, back to the podiatrist, back to my orthopedic doctor.  

I'd take one of those pills if I could get it.  Being on Medicare means I'd have to pay out of pocket and can't afford $1400 a month.  Three hundred, maybe.  Why Medicare won't pay for weight loss meds is weird to me.

they might pay if dr. says it for something other than weight loss. drs. know what to say on ins./medicare billings, in order to get paid. since there seems to be a drug shortage, approvers might be looking closer at diagnosis. i'm medicare too.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Aw come on people just lose weight the old fashioned way! Don't say you can't because, yes, you can. Taking a shot or a pill is insane! Sorry for those that don't agree with me but I speak the truth. I lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and have no intention of gaining it back. I watched my diet and walked like a fiend! I can't lose weight unless I'm active and I'm keeping it off by walking. My doctor is ecstatic with what I've done on my own. Just remember, we only have one chance in this wonderful life we have been given! Heart

You do realize, don't you, that some people have disabilities that prevent them from walking like a fiend or exercising much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ozempic in pill form

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Aw come on people just lose weight the old fashioned way! Don't say you can't because, yes, you can. Taking a shot or a pill is insane! Sorry for those that don't agree with me but I speak the truth. I lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and have no intention of gaining it back. I watched my diet and walked like a fiend! I can't lose weight unless I'm active and I'm keeping it off by walking. My doctor is ecstatic with what I've done on my own. Just remember, we only have one chance in this wonderful life we have been given! Heart

Yeah right.  You have no idea what you are talking about and are way off base.

What works for some people does not work for others. Modern science is finding out that food intake..calories and excerise is not always the best way to manage weight.  Some people have other issues fighting against them.  Your genes and kidney function plays a big part in how your body works.

I watch my diet and have for 39 years.  In all that time, I have had no bread,no pizza, no pasta, no food with caramel coloring, no food that has wheat in it...including soy sauce, pretzels, crackers, cake, cookies, some candy, ice cream and tons of other foods.

I can't eat it and have gone to parties,wedding receptions, airline flights, resturants, other people's home for dinner and just sat there drinking water.  I can't even eat salad if there is croutons or salad dressing with wheat gluten in it as many do.  I can't even pick out the offending items and eat the rest.

So, what do eat? Veggies, eggs, seafood and meat protein, and occasionally some fruit, and very little dairy...I never drank milk, even as a child.

I starve myself to lose weight.  One meal a day of 3-4 oz protein..lettuce salad or a veggie, sometimes both.  No dressing, usually and no butter.  I only drink water or tea all day until dinner time.  

I can finally move  and walk more after having a total knee replacement this past winter and I do walk, ride a bike and swim.

Try living with my body.  I am happy that you have lost weight the old fashioned way and have kept it off.  I wish my journey was just as easy as yours.

BTW, all of my siblings are diabetic but me.  My youngest sister takes insulin injections and ozempic and still struggles to keep her blood sugar where it should be.  She has had trouble finding Ozempic on occasion and she told me it upsets her stomach and she feels terrible on it, but it controls her diabetes. She said she has not lost any weight from taking it.

She is hoping to be able to drop the Ozempic and just use insulin.  She is not a fan of that drug.  Those drugs do not always work for weight loss for everyone either.

Everyone is unique.  One size sizes not fit everyone and not everyone who looks fit is healthy.

Don't be so quick to judge.

Respected Contributor

I would never take Ozempic in any form. Two of my daughters have been taking it for a couple of months but I just found out about it. Neither of them have ever been close to overweight. I worry about them.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 , I have to believe you posted this for a reaction.  But remember these words when the switch flips for you, whether it be a health issue, meds prescribed, hormones or just change in general and diet and exercise just don't cut it anymore.

Respected Contributor

i hope they are working on a generic version of these pills. we need something to bring down the price.

Super Contributor

No! Diabetics need Ozempic and should take first priority. There are other drugs approved for weight loss. 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Esteemed Contributor

@LorelaiGilmore wrote:

No! Diabetics need Ozempic and should take first priority. There are other drugs approved for weight loss. 

ITA... also people that are considered morbidly obese should be helped.

People who say just  diet and exercise for those with those health issues have never been in their shoes, don't know what underlying caused are creating problems, Nobody should not be judging those with problems so harshly.   Yes they need to make changes but they need help.

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered if people use this for a few vanity pounds here and there. Definite potential for misuse especially if it causes shortages for people who legitimately need this. 

Super Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I've always wondered if people use this for a few vanity pounds here and there. Definite potential for misuse especially if it causes shortages for people who legitimately need this. 

Yes, and those people are going to find out that this is not a quick fix drug. Once you stop taking it, your appetite comes right back. This is a serious thing, and I get very angry when I hear of doctors prescribing it to non-diabetics.

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”