Respected Contributor

Oy, it's so uncomfortable--restless leg syndrome

Does anyone here have restless leg syndrome? I think I might have it so if anyone can give me advice on what to do about it, please share. Of course I'm going to check with my doctor but I'd appreciate sharing your experience.

It's really uncomfortable; it doesn't exactly hurt but it's kind of like a buzzing feeling in your legs and then you feel like you HAVE to move them. It started a few months ago but now it happening more often. I don't want to go through another episode; this last one kept me awake most of the night.

TIA for sharing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oy, it's so uncomfortable--restless leg syndrome

My sister had it but they prescribed one of the medications they have now and she got great results. 

New Contributor

I've been dealing with RLS for many years. Started out gradually and then became a nearly daily occurence. I'm takeing the generic version of Requip several times a day and it does help. Iron also helps with the symptoms. Your doctor can certainly help you manage this. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take Andrew Lessman Circulation and Vein Support. I takes care of the problem completely. I have to make sure to take it everyday.

Honored Contributor

I used to see relentless commercials on TV for RLS - rather, for a medicine that treats it.  I had never heard of RLS so I wondered about the disease; it seemed strange. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the medicine.

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Sorry you are going through this as not pleasant at all.  I have found that when my iron is low that my symptoms are so much worse.  

Honored Contributor

I feel for you.  It is dreadful!  I live in quite a bit of pain but, I swear, this is worse than pain because you cannot find comfort and rest with it.

I started taking Magnesium in the evening (after dinner) and I hardly ever get it anymore.

The odd thing about mine was that I would get it only in my right leg and right arm.  All night, having to move every few seconds.

I hope you get relief soon.   The Mag must have helped me because I was getting it pretty frequently and now I cannot recall the last time (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!0.  

Valued Contributor

I have had restless legs for years.  The first thing my doctor did was check the ferritin level in my blood.  It was very low.  He told me to take iron and Rx'd me Requip.  I just take the requip a few hours before I want to go to bed.  Also I take it if I'm going to be sitting alot in one spot during the day like riding in the car for a long time.  It certainly has saved my insanity, because it can drive you crazy.  It's nuts.

Honored Contributor

Check your Ferritin. Not just a regular iron panel; specifically request Ferritin. I had terrible RLS but once I had iron infusions it went away almost immediately. Good luck.

Super Contributor

Hi @GoneButNotForgotten , I get occasional bouts with RLS and I've found relief from a product called Hyland's Restful Legs.  When my RLS flares up I have to take this for a few nights, but once the feeling retreats I don't use it again until it returns.  I can go months without issues.  Hope this helps and best wishes finding some relief, I know how disruptive it is.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~