Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@software wrote:

If you own a home, you can't go on Medicaid.   If you want to pass your home to your children, do it now.  No I won't take it with me.   

If you require skilled nursing care, you do have to use up all your assets before you go on Medicaid.   The state, which administers Medicaid,  allows you to protect your home from having to sell it to pay for your care.  If you don't like those rules, take it up with the state. 

It's legal to protect your home from the state getting it to pay for your care.

@Abrowneyegirl

Lots of people who own their own home are on Medicaid.  Those are the people who are living in their homes too 

I think you meant to say is that to live in a Facility instead of your home, you can't own your home. you must sell and pay your bills and your assisted living expenses until most of your money has run out before Medicaid will pay for your assisted living.

If your spouse is still living in the home I do not believe they can take your home. They can bill you though for what the sick spouses social security is. So if your sick spouse was the soul bread winner you might end up losing a ton of income.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann  I know, stuff happens.  The way I see it, Medicaid now pays over 66% of basic nursing home costs and that trend will continue up for our lifetimes.  Thank goodness for Medicaid and our ability to pay for those souls in need.  They are part of our human family, too.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't know why any of us are debating all this anyway. Sometime in the next 4 years it will surely all radically change.

You're probably right 

I already saw one radical change when the government got involved with Medicare supplemental plans.  They used to be a lot better and more affordable before insurance companies were told what they were allowed to sell.  Way before Plan F was invented.

Honored Contributor

Sounds good and all. Many people live paycheck to paycheck these days and can't afford additional insurance. It's good if you can afford it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Over 50 and LTC plans

[ Edited ]

My dad was 72 and he was in a terrible accident that left him paralysed from the neck down and on a ventilator. His car insurance & the other guys maxed out within 4 months.His care at a special facility where they take ventilator patients cost $30,000 a month + meds + a private duty LPN to stay with him from 7AM to 7 PM and assist him to eat, catherize him every 4 hours, and keep him cleaned up.All in all - over $40,000 a month. And that was 25 years ago. I can't even begin to imagine what that would cost in todays world, but I seriously doubt anyone could cover it long term from their savings.

Honored Contributor

I never implied anyone should "hide" assets.   You can legally protect assets.  If a spouse is still living the home, Medicaid will not throw them out to make you sell the house

Medicaid goes back 5 years, if your assets were protected prior to the 5 year window you are good.   The fact your friend has an attorney means she is doing everything by the book

The rules are out there in black & white.  People can choose to live by them or roll the dice & hope for the best.

@Mom2Dogs

Honored Contributor

Correct, thanks for clarifying.   But in context, we were talking about long term care.  If you need Medicaid for LTC in a facility you must rid yourself of all assets.   @Carmie

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I never implied anyone should "hide" assets.   You can legally protect assets.  If a spouse is still living the home, Medicaid will not throw them out to make you sell the house

Medicaid goes back 5 years, if your assets were protected prior to the 5 year window you are good.   The fact your friend has an attorney means she is doing everything by the book

The rules are out there in black & white.  People can choose to live by them or roll the dice & hope for the best.

@Mom2Dogs

@software

PROCECT ASSESTS from what?  Being used to pay for your care?  Who else should pay?  

For example, If Mary puts her house is her child's name so she can free-load off the the tax payers is wrong.  No necessarily illegal.  So why work or pay for anything ever, just live off the dole. Why pay for any insurance for anything.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My dad was 72 and he was in a terrible accident that left him paralysed from the neck down and on a ventilator. His car insurance & the other guys maxed out within 4 months.His care at a special facility where they take ventilator patients cost $30,000 a month + meds + a private duty LPN to stay with him from 7AM to 7 PM and assist him to eat, catherize him every 4 hours, and keep him cleaned up.All in all - over $40,000 a month. And that was 25 years ago. I can't even begin to imagine what that would cost in todays world, but I seriously doubt anyone could cover it long term from their savings.

This is a gray area in modern times, the above scenario would more than likely NOT be covered by LTC insurance as is not longer considered LTC is would move into intermediate or sub-acute area.  What is described above is not considered LTC under current care classifications.  Trust that insurance companies will work magic to get out of footing that bill.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@software wrote:

@Mom2Dogs

@software

PROCECT ASSESTS from what?  Being used to pay for your care?  Who else should pay?  

For example, If Mary puts her house is her child's name so she can free-load off the the tax payers is wrong.  No necessarily illegal.  So why work or pay for anything ever, just live off the dole. Why pay for any insurance for anything.

@software... do not condone the practice, I was just adding to the conversation about what a friend was doing....I think it is wrong to protect assets to keep from paying for care......