Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,159
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

[ Edited ]
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,273
Registered: ‎03-15-2021

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

I never realized this could happen. Salmonella is not something anyone wants to risk catching. I got it from peanut butter years ago. Boy, I was sick and out of it for several days. The web site posted by the OP gave some excellent advice.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,273
Registered: ‎04-28-2010

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

[ Edited ]

OMGosh........  (I haven't clicked onto the link)

 

Always wash our hands with soap and water after touching birds' matter, turtles, and almost everything living else.

 

I hope it's on nationsl news, just to remind folks to wash their hands after touching bird feeders, bird seed, etc, etc.  

 

 

 

 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,273
Registered: ‎04-28-2010

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

Just wondering (in a nice way):  Does anyone else refrigerate opened peanut butter?

 

Some don't, but I do.  

 

'Still', I'm only guessing that we can't keep it too long.  ?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,273
Registered: ‎03-15-2021

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

My case happened from a nationally known brand that was contaminated.  There was a large outbreak nationwide.  I think peanut butter is shelf stable.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,159
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

Just wondering (in a nice way):  Does anyone else refrigerate opened peanut butter?

 

Some don't, but I do.  

 

'Still', I'm only guessing that we can't keep it too long.  ?


@ROMARY @It is unnecessary to refrigerate peanut butter. Always scoop out the butter with a totally dry , clean utensil that has no other food already on it. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,972
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.


@Mindy D wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Just wondering (in a nice way):  Does anyone else refrigerate opened peanut butter?

 

Some don't, but I do.  

 

'Still', I'm only guessing that we can't keep it too long.  ?


@ROMARY @It is unnecessary to refrigerate peanut butter. Always scoop out the butter with a utensil that has no other food already on it. 


@Mindy D @ROMARY , the exception is all-natural peanut butter.  The kind where the oil comes up to the top and you have to stir it.  That one needs to be refrigerated.

 

Birds are dirty little creatures.  I'm not an obsessive hand washer, but I do always wash my hands after filling the feeders, including hummingbird feeders.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,159
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Just wondering (in a nice way):  Does anyone else refrigerate opened peanut butter?

 

Some don't, but I do.  

 

'Still', I'm only guessing that we can't keep it too long.  ?


@ROMARY @It is unnecessary to refrigerate peanut butter. Always scoop out the butter with a utensil that has no other food already on it. 


@Mindy D @ROMARY , the exception is all-natural peanut butter.  The kind where the oil comes up to the top and you have to stir it.  That one needs to be refrigerated.

 

Birds are dirty little creatures.  I'm not an obsessive hand washer, but I do always wash my hands after filling the feeders, including hummingbird feeders.


@Icegoddess @I would not touch my bird feeder. In addition to hand washing, I would wear nitrile gloves and would wear gloves and hose the feeder outside, never near any sink. in the OP, the second link at the CDC instructs how to clean the feeders using bleach solution.
If you use a scoop of some kind it can come into contact with contaminated surfaces and then contaminate the feed if not correctly cleaned before returning it to its storage spot. Don't return the scoop to remaining food right away. Rinse it with a hose outdoors and add some bleach water in a cup to pour over it. You can wait a couple minutes and then Teri see with plain water. Let it completely dry before placing back into food bag. 

You only need to refrigerate natural oil on top peanut butter if you will be using it for more than a week or two. This is to prevent the oil in it from becoming rancid.  You can do so earlier if you choose to or if you live in a very hot, humid climate which can accelerate rancidity. I used to make my own peanut butter with my food processor. I would never make more than I could use at one time. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,273
Registered: ‎03-15-2021

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

@Icegoddess Your comment about birds are dirty little creatures made me think of chickens. A while back I saw that something like 70% of the chickens in the US carry salmonella. I have concerns about back yard city chickens. If salmonella gets established in the soil it is a nightmare to eliminate.

 

Another concern is how did salmonella get established in our flour supply? Between the eggs and the flour a baker needs a hazmat suit.LOL

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,137
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Outbreak of salmonella in humans from bird feeders in 8 states. 8 people hospitalized.

I refrigerate anything which has natural oil in it. That includes PB, olive oil, butter, some supplements and all facial oils. Natural oils go rancid if you don't keep them cool.

 

I even rfrigerate dried fruit, such as prunes, raisins and dried cranberries.