Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1  The shingles shot hurts because it is given in the muscle. Your muscle is reacting to the injection. My physician (and his RN) warned me to do arm rotations after the shot(s). I did. Didn't have nearly the pain or problems other friends encountered. Wonder why other physicians don't stress such a simple way to avoid the pain? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@wonderfulworld  Confident your PCP will have another supply of the vaccine within the six month time. If not, IIRC the first shot needs to be repeated. The CDC keeps tract of these vaccines and they don't want to waste anything; they will make sure your physician has his/her supply within the timeframe. 

ETA: Like you, I was on the waiting list and it was getting past the fourth month. I called to check on availability. Viola! They had just received the vaccine and I went in that day for my second dose. Sheer luck. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@wonderfulworld  Confident your PCP will have another supply of the vaccine within the six month time. If not, IIRC the first shot needs to be repeated. The CDC keeps tract of these vaccines and they don't want to waste anything; they will make sure your physician has his/her supply within the timeframe. 

ETA: Like you, I was on the waiting list and it was getting past the fourth month. I called to check on availability. Viola! They had just received the vaccine and I went in that day for my second dose. Sheer luck. 

Thank you for sharing that info. I have been calling each week. I feel better now!!

Respected Contributor

I was extremely sore for a week. Good luck, 👍🏿 feel better soon.

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

I was extremely sore for a week. Good luck, 👍🏿 feel better soon.

@IMW  Thank you!!  Never had this kind of soreness from previous injections so now I know how much longer to endure.  What makes it worse is that both my shoulders are angry at me for lifting too much weight.

DH has plans on me helping him bring the Christmas tree up from the basement today.  Its a big tree.  We never put the tree up this early.  I think he is trying to kill me.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

Sorry, I certainly understand. Some shots just plain hurt, during and after. Just got our over 65 flu shots last week, and while it really didn't hurt, my arm is still a little sore, and all kinds of colors.

Tetanus shots are the ones that makes my arm stiff, and for several days after. I always get my shots in my left arm, when possible, because my right arm is dominate. 

The ones that were the worst ones for me were the Lovenox(blood thinner) shots, which I had to shoot myself, every 12 hours. They sting when going in, and for several minutes after. They had to be placed in a certain area of my stomach, and one period of time, I was doing this for 45 days. Couldn't find a spot to shoot them that wasn't already sore/swelled, and all shades of purple/green etc.

I think most here have had some sort of injection that was not pleasant, and gets what you are saying, I do.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

For those who are interested. I received my first dose in August from my PCP office and have not been able to get a second. Wallmart is making a list of people who need the second dose only. I am around number 50 on two stores lists.

That is more than my PCP office is doing...they said just keep calling...they have no list and don't know which of their patients are between doses. Seems odd to me. They said just keep calling them to check.

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

It took a good 3 days for my arm to feel better.

I consider myself a 'tough cookie' (LOL) but my arm was really sore!

It will/should go away soon!

WAY better than getting Shingles!!!

Thoroughly agree with your observations. Also, I should add that the second Shingrix shot (required) I dreaded and yet  I had  almost no pain at all for that one.

My brother is an MD and told me the pain is caused by the body's vigorous immune system reaction to the vaccine. The second shot is much more comfortable because the body has already seen  this "enemy" and is not as stimulated to arrive and "fight" at the injection area. 

Take heart, those of you scared of the pain. The first Shingrix shot results in surprising pain and perhaps  small limitation on mobility, but the second shot probably will not. Be sure to get the second one after 2 months but within 6 months as reuqired or the efficacy is not ensured.

Very high success rate with this vaccine. And like  @RespectLife says, it beats the agony of shingles. 

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal

Thanks for the information regarding the second injection. I am happy to learn this.   That first injection took over a week for the pain to subside. Of course, it didn't help that just days before the injection I had strained both shoulders, so I had discomfort from both.  Still dealing with shoulder issues but it takes time and they are improving.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I had the Shingrix in one arm and the Prevnar 13 (pneumonia) in the other. I felt achy and flu like for a few days.

I am now due for my second dose of Shingrix and my doctor has none. I wonder what happens if I goes beyond the 6 mos recommended second dose?

Follow up: I have been on a few lists for my second immunization. I received a call from Wallmart that they have it in and I am going to get it tomorrow. My first one was at the end of July at my PCP who has been unable to get it in.