Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis

[ Edited ]

@foggy! wrote:

SL thank you for your videos. I watched them and they differ from my doctors info.

I will be researching for myself, and talking more with her. I wish all doctors kept up with more recent medical reviews.

@foggy! 

Glad to help Smiley Happy

I highly recommend reading the book:

Lies my Doctor told me by Ken D. Berry MD

Some Drs are very good...keep up with the times/proven research and offer alternatives of ways to get out of taking meds whenever possible. Of coarse there are health issues that have few if any options available, but I'm talking about most cases.

Many...actually, too many Drs have varying reasons/excuses why they don't keep up with medical research in their specific field or in general.

Some are plain lazy, others claim they don't have the time. Some take the easy route and just push pills from all those pharma companies that visit with samples of new drugs all the time, or what they have been prescribing since they began practicing.

Other Drs are intentionally ignorant...it's their way/belief and nobody knows better...sad, but it's just a fact.

This book will open one's eyes and to never take a Dr's word as if it is the only solution to a health problem. It will remind folks to do their own homework and make sure they are given the best advice and if there is any doubt, get a 2nd opinon...or if need be, change your Dr immediately.

There is a wealth of info on the internet on any given subject...especially on health issues. Of coarse one has to weed through and read a lot, but it's just taking responsibility for our own health.

We only have one life...one body.

Respected Contributor

I don't walk on eggshells but I don't climb a ladder for anything anymore.  Why tempt fate?  

Respected Contributor

I have hypothyroidism so that certainly plays havoc wtih one's bones. I am 69 and have been very active all of my life. In fact used to teach fitness classes. Unfortunately even working out could not control the decrease in my bone density. Probably tried every bisphophenates on the market. A few years ago my doctor decided to order Reclast Injections for me. Saw more improvement than with anything oral. At my October visit, he decided to switch me to Prolia which a twice a year injection. Since I can't another DEXA Scan until Fall 2020, I won't know if this is doing anything. I must say that I have no side affects. I don't walk on eggshells by any means. In fact I am avid walker and do tremendous amount of hills in my daily walks. I will just keep doing what I like to do until I can't do it anymore. 

Super Contributor

Tricolor1, you're kidding me. 

I am 62, with hypothyroidism, asthma and now osteoporosis, and am a daily walker. Sometimes, though, it feels like my hip and ball socket are pulling away.Rest makes it better.

I had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy at 40yrs, with no HRT, no vit. It's a wonder I function as well as I do, knowing suddenly now, my thyroid is ineffective and my bones have rapidly been deteriorating.

After reading your last post, I read up on hypothyroidism. That explains a lot of my other symptoms that could have been resolved at 25yrs old. grrr

I'm still feeling cold, so am going to talk to my doctor about having hormone bloodwork done, when she orders the bloodwork the week before the Reclast.

Glad to hear your bones are doing better...Did you feel any differently, for having been on Reclast or Prolia? Less back pain?  

Honored Contributor

When I was morbidly obese, one of my nastier doctors once said to me “You’ll never have to worry about osteoporosis- you do weight bearing decries every time you struggle out of a chair”.

But not funny, and a DEXA scan a few years later revealed osteopenia in my hips. I’m Do for another scan wth my next physical, so we’ll see where I am now.

Honored Contributor

@violann  I have osteopenia too. I have a 3% chance of a hip fracture ,and an 11% chance of a left arm fracture

I don't need meds but, I did opt to start weight training, to see if it helps. The worst bone loss happens during menopause, so I have been told

Honored Contributor
How much Vit D did your doctor tell you to take each day? Is it to help the calcium absorb or is it for more than that!
Honored Contributor

I asked my doctor if being overweight had any effect on op... if excess weight would increase the bone density numbers and the answer was no.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMeehow much of the silicon supplement per day do you take?  can it be mixed in food?

A while back I asked you about this and totally forgot about using this product!!  You even told me the one you used at the time...I need to start adding this back in and can't remember the recommended amount LOL!!

Thanks so much....Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@SilleeMeehow much of the silicon supplement per day do you take?  can it be mixed in food?

A while back I asked you about this and totally forgot about using this product!!  You even told me the one you used at the time...I need to start adding this back in and can't remember the recommended amount LOL!!

Thanks so much....Woman Happy

I take one rounded 1/4 teaspoon daily. If you put it into a liquid like juice or water then some of it sinks to the bottom and needs to be re-stirred. I put it in my green drink, stir and down it quickly. It's tasteless but is slightly gritty, not bad, so putting it in stuff like yogurt, oatmeal or anything like that where it can be stirred, will work fine also. @tsavorite