Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis: where do I begin????

I did Reclast for 3 years and there was a minimal improvement from one DEXA to the next.  My dentist, who had told me he "bet" I had osteoporosis based on what he was seeing from bones in my oral area (which I acknowledged I had) told me to start walking with about 5 pounds of weight in each hand and do that several times per day.  I did that as frequently as I could.  I have nearby park and I would take my dog and walk with a 5-pound bag of sugar in each hand (one in a large handbag and the other in a shopping bag).  I did not want people to know I was walking around with sugar.  Believe it or not, the next DEXA showed a 50-60% improvement over the prior year.  Then I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and was recommended to push grocery carts to see if that helped prior to any surgery (as I am not a good surgical candidate for a couple reasons) and it has helped considerably.  I am scheduled for a DEXA in March, hoping that the grocery cart pushing and carrying the sugar around will show improvement in all areas.  Good luck to anyone who has this problem.  I definitely think the dentist is onto something.

Respected Contributor

Well, tomorrow I am calling my gym to see what he has to say.....it's all as clear as mud: some drugs work by slowing bone destruction, others work by stimulating growth.  The long term implications are cause for concern. I took pharmacology years ago, but the one thing I learned is that today's wonder drug can often turn out to be tomorrow's nightmare. Our friend Reba is a great example. To salad was a wonder drug when it first appears......but nobody knew about the sequela until more time elapsed.

Reba, it's ironic how much e have in common on the auto-immune font. I am adopted, and it was a closed adoption. I know very little about my biological family. My DH has auto-immune on his side, and in light of what's happening to me, I decide to have genetic testing.  There is a really good chance I might find some biologically related family, and I hope to ft some information...my children need to know. I wish rheumatologist work-ups were as straight forward as an x-Ray. There is no much going on with my labs, but it's a process.....

Thank you all for responding.

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

One of the major questions you need to ask is "Why did the score change so dramatically in such a shor span of time?".

NOBODY TOLD ME when I made the lifestyle changes that lead to dramatc weght loss that a biproduct of THAT can be changes in bone mass.

I have added rowing and walking to my current regime, butI'll have to wait another year to fnd out how I'm doing. 

I absolutely agree with you that the subject is terribly confusing and frustrating.

@violann

Please know that my intent here is to share information based on clincal experience.

During a time in my career, I acted as the Administrative Director of a large physical therapy clinic focusing on back rehab, in addition to acute services.

One of the many things I took away from that position was something our Clinical Director said at one of our staff meetings.  I'm going to paraphrase his words  If there is one thing that I would advise against for a patient with any back disorder, that would be rowing.

He went on to indicate that those who row have a higher incidence of injury to the back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@violann wrote:

One of the major questions you need to ask is "Why did the score change so dramatically in such a shor span of time?".

NOBODY TOLD ME when I made the lifestyle changes that lead to dramatc weght loss that a biproduct of THAT can be changes in bone mass.

I have added rowing and walking to my current regime, butI'll have to wait another year to fnd out how I'm doing. 

I absolutely agree with you that the subject is terribly confusing and frustrating.

@violann

I'm going to paraphrase his words  If there is one thing that I would advise against for a patient with any back disorder, that would be rowing.

He went on to indicate that those who row have a higher incidence of injury to the back.

Rowing is one the best low-impact exercises for...anyone.

If you don't have correct form, use a high damper setting, not use your legs...you're going to have issues.  Heck, some people pull muscles just...walking.

@sfnative

Maybe your source didn't have adequate & proper training from a certified rowing instructor before making that blanket statement.

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Do your research. I have osteopenia and took Fosomax for several years. It messed up my jaw and teeth so bad, plus I had reflux that was so severe I had to have my esophagus dilated. I'm still stuck on a PPI. After all these years, I can't completely wean off. I'd never take it again. My stomach has never been right since. 

If you have osteoporosis I know the treatment has to be more aggressive. I know some women doing the injections twice a year and that seems to be working well. 

I'm not taking anything and staying the same, but I take estrogen and will continue to do so. 

NAMEALREADYTAKEN:  My doctors refused to let me do Fosamax because I had some serious dental issues at the time, root canal issues, trigeminal neuralgia, and having teeth removed for implants secondary to all that.  I am sorry you got the Fosamax.  My doctors were very concered I would get osteonecrosis on Fosamax. I did get Reclast later but the exercise helped more.  My silly old adorable dentist recommended it.  His brother is an endocrinologist and his mother had osteoporosis, possibly why he was knowledgeable of same.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@violann wrote:

@violann

I'm going to paraphrase his words  If there is one thing that I would advise against for a patient with any back disorder, that would be rowing.

If you don't have correct form, use a high damper setting, not use your legs...you're going to have issues.  Heck, some people pull muscles just...walking.

@sfnative

Maybe your source didn't have adequate & proper training from a certified rowing instructor before making that blanket statement.

@sidsmom

My source, as stated, was the clinical director in our back rehab clinic.  In his 20 years practice in the field, he stated that no one should exercise using a rowing machine due to the more than moderate risk of injury.  This has nothing to do with adequate and proper training.  It has everything to do with the stressors placed on the back during that particular activity.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@violann wrote:

@violann

@sfnative

@sidsmom

My source, as stated, was the clinical director in our back rehab clinic.  In his 20 years practice in the field, he stated that no one should exercise using a rowing machine due to the more than moderate risk of injury.  This has nothing to do with adequate and proper training.  It has everything to do with the stressors placed on the back during that particular activity.

@sfnative

It's a sitting activity/sport.  Many professional sports are sitting.

How did he proclaim this danger with this particular sport?

Just for grins, I did a quick Google search for 'rowing harmful back'.

If they mentioned any sort of back injury, it was due to improper rowing technique....and how to correct.

I would encourage your clinical director to expand his knowledge of various sports and biomechanics before stating false information. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think WebMD is a good source of information for most ailments.  I see they recommend pretty much what my dentist recommended:  Walking with weights.  I would consider 5 pounds of sugar each side, a sort of weight, at least 5 pounds.  Osteoporosis patients cannot endure too much impact so it would have to be low impact.  

My DIL who has a doctorate in OT/PT was in total agreement with my dentist as to my exercises.  I asked her why she did not recommend them to which she replied, "I am your DIL.  Remember, we don't know much..." into which she trailed off into laughter.  I got the message. I should have asked her who is a professional in the field.  

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/exercise-for-osteoporosis