Respected Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis: where do I begin????

Do your research. I have osteopenia and took Fosomax for several years. It messed up my jaw and teeth so bad, plus I had reflux that was so severe I had to have my esophagus dilated. I'm still stuck on a PPI. After all these years, I can't completely wean off. I'd never take it again. My stomach has never been right since. 

If you have osteoporosis I know the treatment has to be more aggressive. I know some women doing the injections twice a year and that seems to be working well. 

I'm not taking anything and staying the same, but I take estrogen and will continue to do so. 

Regular Contributor

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis last year.  My doctor said I could consider drug therapy (which I will not choose at this time), calcium supplements, and vitamin d.  In addition, weight bearing excercise is important.  

I recently heard on the news that some studies show the supplements don't help. 

Respected Contributor

Are you sure it's osteoporosis and not osteopenia?  I'm not a doctor, but if I had to bet money I'd say it's probably the less severe condition, osteopenia, given your previous good test.  I agree with the advice not to panic, as many people live with the disease.  My mother has osteoporosis and aside from a few broken toes that healed she has no problems.  She does have bad knees that she's never had fixed, but I don't think that's related to osteoporosis.  Just live your life and do the best you can.  Before it gets really bad, if it ever does, they'll probably have a new drug out for it.

Respected Contributor

@corinne wrote:

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis last year.  My doctor said I could consider drug therapy (which I will not choose at this time), calcium supplements, and vitamin d.  In addition, weight bearing excercise is important.  

I think recent studies on calcium supplements period are not good. I won't take that either, it has always given me problems. 

Respected Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@corinne wrote:

I think recent studies on calcium supplements period are not good. I won't take that either, it has always given me problems. 

Reba:  In your research have you come across any info about the calcium in milk?  I'm a big skim milk drinker.  I don't take my calcium pills much because they are big, chalky, and unpleasant.  I don't mind the vitamin D because they're tiny little things.

Respected Contributor

I had minor bone loss and was put on Actonel.  I suspected that it caused joint pain, and my doc agreed that I should get off of it.  I take more calcium (Andrew Lessman capsules), and also heard this wasn't helpful.  Never know what to do, but I agree with those who said this is a common condition among a lot of us.  I know many.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2

Yes, weight-bearing activity (i.e. Walking) is important, but osteoporosis is a dietary condition.    It's a 'common condition' because of the Standard American Diet (SAD).  

Acidic foods consumed need to be neutralized....and that neutralization is leeched from the bones.  Animal products (meat, eggs, dairy), oils, coffee, sodas, etc. are all highly acidic...and, in turn, making it a common problem.

Milk is one of the biggest myths for bone production.  

Not only consuming copious amounts of dairy not doing any good, it's causing considerable harm.

Again, Milk Does Not Do A Body Good.

Leafy greens & legumes are some of the best ways to obtain calcium. 

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/hot-topics/medical-topics/osteoporosis/

Honored Contributor

I also agree that to find the reason for the drastic change is necessary. See an endocrinologist for that. Could be the pituitary gland or thyroid or something else hormonal that is doing this. Taking high doses of prednisone can do this also.

Honored Contributor

I know my gyn never prescribes Fosamax, she says there are far better treatments out there now.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for taking time to respond. There is no question it's osteoporosis.....but what is very frightening to me is a possibility of multiple myeloma. I am going for more tests, and we will see what those reveal. I have a pretty strong rheumatoid factor that finally showed up: I say "finally" because my body was showing me something, but tests were negative until now. I have to say, whatever is going on, it's crankin'!  All kinds of things going on ranging from symptoms of Sjorgren Syndrome to maybe rheumatoid arthritis....( This week my fingers not only swelled at the joints, but my right thumb actually looked broken). The pain woke me up....I have all kinds of nodules on my thyroid, but believe me, my docs are not smiling on testing.

Reba, you voiced one of my worst fears with what you have suffered with Fosamax....my heart goes out to you, and I mean that. A couple of docs have told me there is a strong correlation with osteonecrosis and daily use of this class of drugs. We don't have a full and clear picture of what is going on with me, and my question is what does indeed happen if you take one of the long term medications and crop up with something like parathyroid issues, or cancer originating in the marrow?

Sidsmom, I agree with you. I gave up dairy and red meat the past year because fat can carry a lot of toxins, and the longer it takes for an animal to achieve maturity, the more toxins it can absorb. I am still an omnivore: I would like to go vegan, but I really need to speak with a RD or Diabetes Educator before I take that plunge.

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to post

Poodlepet2