Respected Contributor

Osteoporosis: where do I begin????

I honestly didn't see this one coming....I am 55 and in my younger days, I did all the right things ( weight training, exercise). Two years ago, my DEXA scan was declared "superb" and I was told to keep up the good work. That obviously changed and I was given the words of doom yesterday. I don't have to make a decision about which treatment to choose right now, but I need to start investigating treatments. It is absolutely on my agenda to speak with my gyn and my primary. If anybody can recommend books or sites, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis: where do I begin????

How are you feeling?  What are you feeling, related to the diagnosis?

Thank you.  Best wishes to you (lame, I know, but I don't know what else to say!).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I think you begin with a good diagnostician who can explain what's happening in your body.  How did you go from a superb scan to one that spells doom?  And then, what can be done about it.

I don't have a site I've used, but my first inclination is always to read from something reliable (WebMD or the Mayo Clinic site????) because I like to know the vocabulary, to understand some of the possibilities before I talk with my doctor. 

So sorry you have to deal with this during the holiday season.  I'm not sure why that makes it worse, but for me it always does.  I'm hoping for you that "doom" is too strong for what's happening to you. 

Honored Contributor

Do you already have osteoporosis or is it now in the earlier stage of osteopenia?? I have had osteopenia for the last 12 years, but it has never advanced to actual osteoporosis.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

One of the major questions you need to ask is "Why did the score change so dramatically in such a shor span of time?".

NOBODY TOLD ME when I made the lifestyle changes that lead to dramatc weght loss that a biproduct of THAT can be changes in bone mass.

I have added rowing and walking to my current regime, butI'll have to wait another year to fnd out how I'm doing. 

I absolutely agree with you that the subject is terribly confusing and frustrating.

Respected Contributor

I have also had osteopenia for several years.  I get a yearly bone scan.  It has not progressed any further.  I take one Evista per day (now generic).  It really has not affected my life.  My best to you. Smiley Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

"words of doom" -- You didn't say what those words were, osteopenia, osteoporosis? If so, those are not words of doom.

Don't panic, millions of people have bone loss and are functioning just fine (me, for example).  There is quite a selection of drugs which can be taken if you wish.  Of course they have side effects which you must consider.  If you begin a drug, then get a DEXA a year or two later, it's difficult to determine if the drug helped or not because you don't know what the DEXA would have been had you NOT taken the drug.  In my case, I don't like taking the drug but am afraid to stop.

Did you change any meds in the last two years?  Are you taking meds which might promote bone loss?  There are quite a number of meds which can affect the bones.

There is a national osteoporosis organization which would probably be a good starting place for research. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several have asked if she has osteoporisis or osteopenia. The title of her thread has the answer. Poodlepet, I think each one of us who receives a shocking unexpected diagnosis just has to do enough research to make an informed decision. My best to you always. 

Honored Contributor

Have you had your parathyroid checked?    (My cuz found out that was causing her osteo problem).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2

Was this diagnosis the result of a bone density test ..... or a blood test, or what ?   

I don't know what the regimen will be, but alendronate (Fosamax) is sometimes prescribed for osteoporosis reversal.   You take it once a week first thing in the am and must stay upright for 30 minutes (not laying down again).

If you are told to increase the amount of calcium, it's proably best to take different supplements, alternating and always going for the ones that are most easily absorbed.    

If you were diagnosed, what regimen did your MD advise?