Regular Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis Dx - which meds are best?

While in treatment for breast cancer I was told I had osteopenia.  My doctor put me on Evista.  I took this for years and it did build my bones.  I have also heard that "Bone Up" supplements can help.

I would not take Boniva or any similar drugs because my mother had fracture in her femur, so bad that they had to insert a metal rod.  They said this facture was on the level of what you would receive in a bad car accident.  I have since heard of others who had spontaneous femur fractures while on bisphosphinates.  

I would try diet, supplements, and ask for alternatives to Fosamax.  Always check side effects and ask many questions.  You can go on-line and look for official list of side effects of prescription drugs.

You will find what is right for you.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess,

Yes, thank you, When reading does carbonated drinks affect bones, it is not all carbonated drinks like sparkling water, carbonated mineral water etc, its "cola."

Studies done from Harvard Medical School, UCLA health, NIH and others. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I haven't read all the responses before this so I hope I'm not being repeditive.  I have Osteoporosis and I take the Prolia shot.  It's every 6 months.  I have taken Actonel in the past and it worked fine.  I had no after affects with it.  The reason I was taken off is because the Osteoporosis was gone and I became more normal.  But, if you're not careful it comes back.  So I made the decision to take the Prolia.  Which one you choose is up to you and you alone.  Please don't take something because of what someone else tells you.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

When you post "Dx" what exactly are you asking?   

Rx is for prescriptions, so I Googled Dx and a multitude of references came up .... from ham radios to digital transformation to just meaning "distant".    

TIA for the clarification.  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@CatsyCline 

When you post "Dx" what exactly are you asking?   

Rx is for prescriptions, so I Googled Dx and a multitude of references came up .... from ham radios to digital transformation to just meaning "distant".    

TIA for the clarification.  Woman Happy

@CatsyCline 

I believe it's diagnosis.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Stay away from all carbonation (ie sodas, fizzy water) - it depletes the bones.

@ThinkingOutLoud  @CatsyCline  Not true.  Carbonated beverages are fine except colas.  Colas contain phosphoric acid, that can be  problematic for bones.  

Per the National Institutes of Health:

Soft drink consumption may have adverse effects on bone mineral density (BMD), but studies have shown mixed results. In addition to displacing healthier beverages, colas contain caffeine and phosphoric acid (H3PO4), which may adversely affect bone.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17023723/#:~:text=Background%3A%20Soft%20drink%20consumption%20may,w....

Studies are slanted depending on who paid for it. Furthermore, I trust my source much more than I'd ever trust the NIH. They've lost credibility.

Honored Contributor

I had read that taking a high dose of statins long term could increase one's risk of osteoporosis.  My mother had a severe case of osteoporosis and took statins for decades.  Just something for one to be aware of.

Respected Contributor

I fell and broke my femur in March. They surgically placed pins and I am doing well. About 8 years ago I was diagosed with osteopenia. Due to the break, I recently had a bone scan. Thankfully, it is still osteopenia. I knew my doctor would likely prescribe Fosamax so I researched all the drug treatments. Three people I knew could not tolerate Fosamax. I rquested my doctor prescribe Evista  because I took it years ago after my mother had breast cancer. My doctor reluctantly agreed. I have joined the YMCA and am using the treadmill, weights and taking a balance class. I don't want any more bone breaks. Good luck to you.,

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Tbone meds.JPGbone meds 2.JPG

I took a pic of the med page from my brochure. Prolia is the one obscured. sorry.

Reclast affects your kidneys. I have CKD and my doctor wanted me to  get an infusion of Reclast. I declined. I read many reviews and 58% said they  would never do it again. These drugs have many side affects and I choose not to risk it at this time..

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Stay away from all carbonation (ie sodas, fizzy water) - it depletes the bones.

@ThinkingOutLoud  @CatsyCline  Not true.  Carbonated beverages are fine except colas.  Colas contain phosphoric acid, that can be  problematic for bones.  

Per the National Institutes of Health:

Soft drink consumption may have adverse effects on bone mineral density (BMD), but studies have shown mixed results. In addition to displacing healthier beverages, colas contain caffeine and phosphoric acid (H3PO4), which may adversely affect bone.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17023723/#:~:text=Background%3A%20Soft%20drink%20consumption%20may,w....

Studies are slanted depending on who paid for it. Furthermore, I trust my source much more than I'd ever trust the NIH. They've lost credibility.

@ThinkingOutLoud,

That is true re who pays for the study. I was unable to find any info saying carbonation does harm bones. If you like your source, can you say what it is, especially if you disagree with the others.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"