Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

Please ask your Dr. or pharmacist about OTC topical pain creams and patches..

They absorb into your skin and may affect other meds you are taking.

DH had to wear gloves to put Voltaren on my back..Dr. said it could mess with his heart meds.

Voltaire's is also HIGHLY TOXIC  and deadly to Animals!

Pet owners beware: Some topical products can be poisonous

Oct. 27, 2021 at 6:00 am

By
Syndicated columnists

Q: I read your article about a cat sickened by Voltaren gel. The owner was using this topical NSAID (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) to treat her sore thumbs and wrists.

Cats groom themselves by licking their fur. I suspect that the major factor in its kidney damage was this oral ingestion. Are there other products that cat owners should be careful about?

@Jo1313 wrote:

Please ask your Dr. or pharmacist about OTC topical pain creams and patches..

They absorb into your skin and may affect other meds you are taking.

DH had to wear gloves to put Voltaren on my back..Dr. said it could mess with his heart meds.

A: Thank you for reminding us how vulnerable animals can be to some human medications. Another compound of concern is the topical hair-growth product called minoxidil (Rogaine).

A report in the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association (September-October 2021) described 87 cases of poisoning in cats and dogs. Cats licked the owners’ skin or pillowcase. Dogs more often found a container rummaging through the trash. This product can make both dogs and cats quite ill, and 13% of the cats died.

People who allow their pets in bed must be especially careful to avoid exposing their pets to topical medications. The residue left on a pillow from hair products can be toxic.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Thank you John... always a big puzzle isn't it? I hope folks just don't ignore potential symptoms. I know I was floored when I tested positive, however I know the animal I'm dealing with. 

Must live our lives to the fullest! Yesterday I bought a new Porsche, I can't believe I DID that lol. Hey if my lifespan just got shorter then I'm getting everything I've ever wanted. 

Blessed holidays to all and I'll set up a Go Fund Me for the car payment LOL. Hugs my friend

@Mustang Shar 

A very good friend with RA just died at age 92.  So her life was no shorter than the average person's.  She was on Methotrexate for many years.

Oh thank you! That is very encouraging for me xxoo

Respected Contributor

I started taking tart cherry capsules and they seem to help a little...but this cold, damp weather really seems to make it worse. Will try the Voltaren. Good to know it's a NSAID since Aleve seems to be the only otc pain reliever that helps. I guess I can't use one if I am using the other? 

Respected Contributor

It has never felt warm to the touch. I have been hesitant to go to the urgent care clinic due to all of the RSV, flu, and COVID in our area right now. The clinics are all packed, according to the local news. Right now am shopping around for a new PCP...amazing how many are accepting new patients...but no appointments for weeks.