Respected Contributor

Gout?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis

[ Edited ]

@IMW 

Gout?  It's possible since it is a form of arthritis. Will see what the doctor diagnosis turns out to be.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Please ask your Dr. or pharmacist about OTC topical pain creams and patches..

They absorb into your skin and may affect other meds you are taking.

DH had to wear gloves to put Voltaren on my back..Dr. said it could mess with his heart meds.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jo1313 

Glad to see you mention this. There are many that think all topical creams are just that, topical. Many are not, and those considering using them, should heed what you have said!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Thank you John... always a big puzzle isn't it? I hope folks just don't ignore potential symptoms. I know I was floored when I tested positive, however I know the animal I'm dealing with. 

Must live our lives to the fullest! Yesterday I bought a new Porsche, I can't believe I DID that lol. Hey if my lifespan just got shorter then I'm getting everything I've ever wanted. 

Blessed holidays to all and I'll set up a Go Fund Me for the car payment LOL. Hugs my friend

Respected Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

Ouch! That sounds painful. I have a couple joints that swell up. I was told it was either gout and/or osteoarthritis. Although gout is a more pin-prickly stabbing pain, while arthritis is a deep ache. X-rays confirmed that its osteoarthritis, but didn't rule out that gout might also be involved. Osteoarthritis usually arises from overuse of the joints. Tylenol does nothing to help. But one tablet of ibuprofen before bed is a miracle drug and usually insures I don't wake up with any pain or swelling. Good luck! Arthritis is a witch. 

That's what ER thought I might have also, however blood work was negative for gout 

Honored Contributor

Agreed, Voltaren is a serious NSAID even in topical form, I have refused to use it since it can easily raise BP. 

Honored Contributor

My first arthritis bout was in about 2006 - swollen painful basel thumb joint.

My doc sent me to osteo doc who gave me a shot of cortisone and had a spllint made to immobilize my hand to wear overnight to immobilize my hand.  Advised Tylenol. 

Arthritis has spread to other body parts (lots of arthritis in my family - so I'm not surprised that I"m dealing with it too).   

Definitely see a doc.  Arthritis is manageable.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You can always soak your hands in a warm or hot epsom salts in the sink or deep bowl.

Treat youself to a good hand massage and lay a warm, damp towel over your hands when done.

Keep in mind Voltaren is an NSAID so be mindful of any other pain relievers you are taking if you decide to use it.

@Snowpuppy    The amount she would use on a finger would be negligible.  In fact, I'm not supposed to use NSAIDs due to kidney damage but my doctor said I could use Voltaren as needed.  Its not absorbed as a pill would be or filtered through the kidneys.

@Snowpuppy 

Please clarify that it is Voltaren cream that is applied to the joint, not Voltaren orally. 

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Thank you John... always a big puzzle isn't it? I hope folks just don't ignore potential symptoms. I know I was floored when I tested positive, however I know the animal I'm dealing with. 

Must live our lives to the fullest! Yesterday I bought a new Porsche, I can't believe I DID that lol. Hey if my lifespan just got shorter then I'm getting everything I've ever wanted. 

Blessed holidays to all and I'll set up a Go Fund Me for the car payment LOL. Hugs my friend

@Mustang Shar 

A very good friend with RA just died at age 92.  So her life was no shorter than the average person's.  She was on Methotrexate for many years.