Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23  I have osteoporosis and my knuckles will flare up occasionally mostly on my right hand ..and on my right foot toe knuckles....yes..swelling, pain redness comes and goes. 

Honored Contributor

It could be arthritis but it could be something else. Any one of a number of things. Forget supplements. Try Voltaren, it's a topical (cream) for arthritis pain. It relieves the inflammation that causes the pain. It works wonders for my shoulder pain even though I'm not sure if it is arthritis. Try calling your doctor's office.again.   Firmly but nicely ask to speak to a nurse or office manager.  Tell them that you are in extreme pain constant and it is affecting your sleep and you can't use the hand.  Tell them you need an appointment asap.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@Trailrun23     If your finger is swollen, painful, red, and WARM to the touch, it is possibly rheumatoid arthritis. 

I am NOT a doctor, but I have had RA since I was 9 years old (due to a bout of rheumatic fever.)

@Desertdi @Trailrun23 

Rheumatoid is a very, very serious diagnosis.  I have osteoarthritis and degeneartive arthritis and I swell with it.  I DO NOT have rheumatoid.  That is extremely serious condition.  I also have osteoporosis but MY FINGERS SWELL AS DO MY WRISTS.  Gout can also cause red, swollen fingers, toes, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I am NOT a doctor, but I have had RA since I was 9 years old (due to a bout of rheumatic fever.)

@Desertdi 

My late mother was born with Rheumatic Fever. It damaged her heart and effected her whole life. This genetic predisposition was passed down to me, but none of my 3 older sisters. Only 1 of them is still living, and she will be 89 next month.

Wondering if your Rheumatic Fever has effected any of your Cardiovascular System. As always, I respect each member's privacy, when it comes to any of the questions I ask.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I had a similar incident that was happening to my right wrist. It had been extremely painful, whole hand swelled up. The 3rd time it happened I got disgusted and went to ER at 5 am. It was nearly impossible for me to drive myself. They didn't know either.

Then I saw my orthopedic and had blood work and bam, I tested positive for rheumatoid arthritis. A disease that not only attacks your joints but your body. I've been on methotrexate for several months and no reoccurrence and I feel great. Just have to monitor my liver. Just my experience 

NOTHING would work to stop that pain nor swelling. Not ice, heat Advil... nothing. So please, see an orthopedic get some blood work to see if RA. Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

I had a similar incident that was happening to my right wrist. It had been extremely painful, whole hand swelled up. The 3rd time it happened I got disgusted and went to ER at 5 am. It was nearly impossible for me to drive myself. They didn't know either.

Then I saw my orthopedic and had blood work and bam, I tested positive for rheumatoid arthritis. A disease that not only attacks your joints but your body. I've been on methotrexate for several months and no reoccurrence and I feel great. Just have to monitor my liver. Just my experience 

NOTHING would work to stop that pain nor swelling. Not ice, heat Advil... nothing. So please, see an orthopedic get some blood work to see if RA. Good luck

@Mustang Shar 

Such a good and informative post. Just to emphasize a bit more on your, "not only attacks your joints", comment. While joints can be painful, that always grabs every person's attention!

Some effected by this disease  will have nothing to attract their attention, such as pain. As most know, there are diseases known as Silent Killers. Some require blood tests to detect, others require more in depth procedures, to detect.

Everyone, pain or no pain, should at the very least have a Full Blood Test done, at some point starting at adulthood, and regularly thereafter. There are many men that "I haven't seen a doctor since *****", that seem to think that they are worthy of a medal! Sorry chaps.

That's it!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You can always soak your hands in a warm or hot epsom salts in the sink or deep bowl.

Treat youself to a good hand massage and lay a warm, damp towel over your hands when done.

Keep in mind Voltaren is an NSAID so be mindful of any other pain relievers you are taking if you decide to use it.

@Snowpuppy    The amount she would use on a finger would be negligible.  In fact, I'm not supposed to use NSAIDs due to kidney damage but my doctor said I could use Voltaren as needed.  Its not absorbed as a pill would be or filtered through the kidneys.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I have been dealing with a very swollen finger joint for a month. It hasn't been injured or anything, just swollen and painful. We had a cold front come in with the first cold weather of the season...and my finger got worse. Called to see pcp and they can't see me until January....does this sound like arthritis? I don't know how to treat it until I can see the dr. I can still move the finger okay but it hurts. Tylenol doesn't help, nor does Aleve or ice packs.

@Trailrun23 

I have both RA and Osteo .... and find that using a topical cream as a hand cream helps a lot.  Sometimes I put it on at night and wake up pain free, but also during the day, if needed.

Using topical products means we can be taking less pills.

I usually use Aspercreme or Blue Emu ... sometimes Salon Pas ... whatever is unscented.

Respected Contributor

Aspercreme Arthritis Pain Relief Gel.....

Valued Contributor

Ouch! That sounds painful. I have a couple joints that swell up. I was told it was either gout and/or osteoarthritis. Although gout is a more pin-prickly stabbing pain, while arthritis is a deep ache. X-rays confirmed that its osteoarthritis, but didn't rule out that gout might also be involved. Osteoarthritis usually arises from overuse of the joints. Tylenol does nothing to help. But one tablet of ibuprofen before bed is a miracle drug and usually insures I don't wake up with any pain or swelling. Good luck! Arthritis is a witch.