Respected Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis in hand pain

@hckynut Thanks for the nice post. I have been praying you and wife will have better months ahead. I have never figured 

out why some people have so many medical problems when the ones that eat wrong etc are so healthy. You have the attitude I do. It is what it is so do the best we can.

The pain is pretty bad in my hand but I just tell my husband that my Buddy is acting up again. I have been blessed it is not in my legs as we always have pressure on them when we use them. At least I can type and eat with my left hand.

I did learn that driving a car that you turn the key with is not good. My new car has a push button start so I can drive again.

My husbands Kia has the one with the key so he is safe with me not using it. Never thought of the pressure in my hand until I turned that key. Cured that right away.

Take care and my best to Cindy. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut I saw the Orthopedic doctor for my hand today. What a friendly and informative man.

My swelling had gone down some in my hand waiting for this appointment. I still had inflammation and pinkness with warmth. He did not think it was gout or a type of arthritis. He agreed that the tendons were involved. They are very painful but I can do a little more with my hand the last week.

He didn't think surgery was necessary to drain any fluid as the fluid was coming down some. He gave me a cortisone shot and said if it didn't help to come back and see him again. He also said you have to wait at least 3 months until he could give me another one. He said I was a great patient as I never flinched or yelled when he gave it to me. I am one that just lets the doctor do what they have to do. It doesn't make it less painful but it does take less time to get things done than complaining. I am sure he was thankful for that.

Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14   I had trouble when I lived up North but not that bad.   I occasionly have pain in my Hands like that mostly in the A.M.   I bought a paraffin dip think.   I bought it at Walmart years ago, but I am sure you could find one on Amazon.   It comes with Parafin Wax.   It is a small tub big enough to stick your hands in.   I had hand sugery plastic bag for at least 20 min. until the wax cools.   It really helps,  and I have had mine about 15 years, and all I have had to buy is the wax.  If you wash your hands before putting them in to keep the wax clean, you can use it a long time till you need to replace it.  I think mine lasted about 2 years.

The other thing I use is called Sports cream.  I get it at Walmart and it is not expensive.  It has no odor, deep penetrating, greaseless.  I can post a picture of the cream if you would like me too.   I hope this helps. 

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe Thanks for the tips.

I have seen the wax one online on a show once and it had good reviews. It warms your hands without burning them. I agree with washing your hands first also.

The cortisone shot did make a little difference so far. The doctor said it would be a few days before I saw a difference. I and hoping this will fix my problem for a while. I will check out the sports cream. Aspercreme did nothing.

Have a great day and thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004  Just to be certain you know - Tramadol is an addictive drug - a controlled substance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 In the joints are sacs that produce synovial fluid which lubricates the joint. That sac is inflammed - swollen -from either a repetitive motion injury or from an actual injury causing pain.If you are doing a repetitive motion - like sewing or typing or playing the piano etc etc it would be best to stop doing it .

Honored Contributor

@sfnative is that something a person can buy over the counter?

Frequent Contributor

I have had great improvement from Deep Blue Rub. It is a DoTerra product, but you can get it from Amazon. Very small amount needed. Essential oils. 

Honored Contributor

jPlease forgive me if this hasbeen mentioned but I have started using Tommy Copper's line of items for relief of arthritis pain.  It started this year in my left hand and because I was using a TC knee compression (and it worked to relieve my knee pain) I bought their fingerless gloves.  For me, it has relieved what I have going on now and wear them to bed and as needed during the day.   You can access their site on Google with their full name.

One thing to note.... their items are patented and other items out on the market are not the same.  TC developed the copper within  the strands of the fabric.  Therefore wherever the fabric touches provides relief.  A ffriend of mine bought a comparable brand that only puts copper pieces at stations within the fabric and complained that they didn't work.   I've not tried any other brand of copper relief.  I am personally sold on Tommy Copper and if/when the time comes am fully prepared to wrap my entire body in it!!!!!!! Woman LOLHeart  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

2ecceeec-799d-429e-a71c-2d4b483b847e_1.1d8c4319a1621e15ec0557256ce7a01a.jpeg