Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoarthritis in hand pain

[ Edited ]

I was diagnosed with arthritis in left hand (basel thumb joint) in 2006.  He gave me a cortisone injection in the joint (very painful) ... sent me to physical therapist to have a splint made to immobilize my thumb, and instructions to take Tylenol for pain.  

He had me wear the splint for six weeks ... and then only when I had a flare-up.  

So far so good .... I knit and crochet, cook and clean and sew.  It's manageable.

You might want to ask you doctor about a splint. 

Honored Contributor

@MKR14

That sounds more like rheumatoid arthritis than osteoarthritis.  Have you been tested for RA?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@MKR14  I have arthritis all over my body.  But my back and hands are the worst.

I have compression gloves.  My favorite one's I use mainly in the Fall and Winter are the one's I bought a few years ago.  The label has worn off.

They (like most) don't have finger tips in them.  

Here's what I suggest (this is what I did).  Go to a store that sells medical equipment first.  You can try on different sizes.  It's important (my opinion) that you have just the right amount of compression.  It's important to not get something so restrictive that you don't feel comfortable.

After you do that you can order them on line to get a good price.

Amazon offers a lot of different kinds.  I feel your pain (sorry, not making fun, I REALLY understand how bad it can hurt).

I lived with an Aunt who had bad arthritis in her hands, yet she crocheted every day.  She'd make the most amazing crochet bedspreads (yes, bedspreads and table cloths).  

There are a lot of things these days to help keep your fingers limber (is that an Annabelle made up word ?).

Get yourself some ball and jacks (I have some very big jacks (easier to pick up) and sometimes if I'm sitting, I'll pick them up and play a little.  A game from the past but it all keeps your dexerity good.

A favorite of mine (to keep my hands and fingers flexible) is a rubber ball I bought years ago (I'm 71).  You just push on a spot and it inflates the ball and deflates it (according to how hard you want the ball).  I've found that with me, anyway, it varies.  It works great.

Go to places like Amazon or just google a phrase and all sorts of items will pop up.  Don't be afraid to order from the internet, just make sure you check out the company first.

Like I said, I have wonderful luck with Amazon Prime and because I'm a member most of what I order is free and often comes withing 2 days.

Once I ordered a kerosene heater ( you know how big they are) in the morning and it arrived that evening.  Go figure.

My daughter lives in Denver.  She orders food, everything from Amazon and it's delivered within hours.

I live what might be considered more of country (but it's not really).  It takes usually around 2 or 3 days at the most for me to get my items.

I have 2 cats.  I have ordered their specific food from Chewy (pet supplies).  I get them delivered (free) in 2 days.

But, like I said, it's very important to check out the company first and use a credit card specifically for those purposes (not connected to anything).  I have a very smart friend.  She buys Amazon gift certificates and uses those when she orders things for Christmas.

Take care and please let us know what you've found out.  I realize it isn't just us old timers anymore who suffer with arthritis, but it's still primarily us.  We need to stick together and help each other out with what works best for us as we go through this quagmire of old age.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

Thanks as I was at lunch today with a friend of mine that needed a compression glove for her left hand. She said she bought a set and it worked well for her. The drug store made her buy the set so she had a new right hand glove she could give me. I am 69 in a few weeks but never minded how old I was-just what comes with it. Smiley Happy

Thanks for all the great info. I love all your posts.

@LilacTreeI will have further tests if needed to be sure they treat the right thing. The doctor did blood work and a hand

x-ray so far. Then the prednisolone script. Thank you.

@ALRATIBA Thanks for the idea I may crochet again in the future.

I appreciate all of you. Just happy my left hand is still working. Always a blessing if you look for it. 

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 Glad to hear both of you ladies were able to work out something that fits both......

Take care and I agree with you about getting old(er) is difficult.

I always say my brain says go and my body says 'no'.

Take care and stay safe.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14  I am so sorry about your having these awful pains.  Have you tried taking a turmeric supplement?  Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties, is totally natural, and may help alleviate the pain a bit.  Andrew Lessman has a good one.

Take care my friend!

Respected Contributor

Heated Paraffin wax works well, you can purchase at most beauty supply stores. The heat from the wax helps to temporarily soothe aching joints.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM Hello my friend. I will mention the turmeric to my doctor next week. I know my son takes them and it has helped him as he had a neck surgery several years ago. I have to run whatever meds I use through my heart doctor and my pancreas doctor or I probably would be better if I could take what I want.  Hope all is well with you. Smiley Happy

I haven't bought any new appliances since my Cooks Essentials 5.3 quart air fryer several months ago. Love it and my husband uses it as much as me.

@sann I have heard of the wax for helping some diseases. Thanks for the advice. I hope I get this under control soon. My husband took a small Coke bottle and filled it with very hot water and gave to me to hold in my hand to help with the pain. It felt good and made my hand feel good being warm. He felt he was helping. He is a good man. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I love the compression gloves with the fingertips cut out.  I have arthritis in my thumbs and these save me.  I don't get tight compression gloves as they'd bug me.  But their support is wonderful.  Sometimes I wear them at night and don't even need them during the day.  

Occasional Contributor

You didn't mention where in your hand the pain is located. The swelling & redness sound more like an autoimmune disorder or rheumatoid type situation than osteo. I have something called "de Quervain's Tenosynovitis" which presents pain at base of thumb, then becomes widespread. I couldn't do anything with hand. An orthopedic doc diagnosed it (along with Dupuytren contracture in my other hand - joy). Had a small cortisone injection, a custom splint and OT, the benefits lasting over 2 years and just now wearing off.

Good luck with this adventure .