Respected Contributor

You name the knee injection, I've had it.  There seems to be little rhyme or reason why sometimes they work for a month, while other times 3-4 months.  As for the injection pain; you are numbed.  That being said, sometimes I had little to no pain at the injection site.  Once however, it was swollen and painful for a week.

I was facing a replacement but thought I'd try one last thing, a stem cell shot. (done at a surgery center) That was last June and I'm still doing well.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your thoughts. Medicare denied me coverage for knee injections before I even had xrays showing advanced osteoarthritis. My rheumatologist is sending me to ortho guy. Apparently ortho has more pull getting injections approved. Medicare avoids covering treatments that so many older people need. 

Respected Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Thanks for all your thoughts. Medicare denied me coverage for knee injections before I even had xrays showing advanced osteoarthritis. My rheumatologist is sending me to ortho guy. Apparently ortho has more pull getting injections approved. Medicare avoids covering treatments that so many older people need. 

@CJC 

Medicare covered my Orthovisc injections every 6 months, and cortisone shots as needed.  They didn't cover stem cell shots.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Apple Crisp wrote:

I had Supartz injections in both knees almost two years ago now. I had a series of five shots five weeks in a row. You can have them every six months. They worked beautifully for me and I have not as yet needed another round.

@Apple Crisp   It sounds SO paintful!  To get the injections!  I am a certified chicken. . 

@Sooner   They deaden the area before giving the injection.  You really don't feel much.

@Kachina624   I guess being passed out cold as a mackrel might help as well. . . Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624   I guess being passed out cold as a mackrel might help as well. . . Woman Surprised

@Sooner Now THAT  is funny! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I was at the Ortho yesterday and had corisone shots in both knees, they are supposed to last 4 months if not next step is the gel injections.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.