Trusted Contributor

Re: Ortho visit that has me steaming mad! What do you think?

On 2/7/2015 indiarose said:

Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants are the way of our new Affordable Care Act. They certainly do not have the medical knowledge that comes with many years of training as do physicians. But remember if the PA or NP screws up the physician will be held liable so the doc has to pretty sure that his employee knows the process.

Many of you have no idea how O'care has changed our healthcare. PAs and NPs are just two examples & you have no choice but to offer to pay the physician cash to have him/her do the procedure personally in the future.

You got what you voted for...oh well.

Believe me: I'm no fan of the ACA! But P.A.'s and nurse practitioners have been in doctors' offices in steadily increasing numbers for decades, and the ACA can't be blamed (or credited) with the increased utilization of these physician extenders in medical practices! When I worked in the administrative offices of a large regional medical school in the 1970's, a new Physician's Assistant program was an exciting and rapidly growing educational option. The ACA didn't bring about this change.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/7/2015 ellaphant said:

While PAs are well trained, I wold not want a diagnosis given to me by a PA. Sorry, that's just me. A shot is one thing, but not the diagnosis..

Me too. I always have lots of questions, and my doctors & I usually decide together on the best course of treatment. I want those conversations with a doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

I belong to an HMO, and occasionally when making an appointment I have been asked if I want to see the doctor or nurse practitioner. It has always been my choice and asked at the time I make the appointment.

Honored Contributor

I have seen a PA at many of my doctor's visits. My appointment with my hematologist I am more often than not seen by his PA. There are numerous times that this PA has given me the results of my blood test and also scheduled either a blood transfusion or an iron infusion. Even on visits to my friend that is an orthopedic surgeon there have been times that his PA has taken care of my needs. I have no problems seeing a PA Viet at my hematologist office, my orthopedic doctors office and at times even at my cardiologist visits. One thing that the doctors that I see no is that if I want to see them and their PA comes in, I will ask to see the doctor and have always been granted my requests. I do not see your experience as a big problem. What you decide is up to you, I am just letting you know that it is not all that on you unusual, at least to me.
hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Drythe said:

PAs and NPs are very well trained and qualified to do everything you mentioned. In many cases they spend WAY more time with patients than MDs do.

I believe in all states it is a requirement for healthcare professionals in a licensed facility to display name badges which also have their titles.

It is a little surprising that you haven't run across either before because there have been training programs for both since the 70s if not before.

I certainly wish it had been true when I was in the ER last year. There were people in and out of my room for 2 days, and I had no idea who most of them were.

Super Contributor

Excellent learning point here, OP: always, always ask who will be seeing you when you make the appointment. I will not see a midlevel. Nor will my family. Period.

The public may think they are "as good" as the doctor but the difference is most midlevels practice cook book medicine----very little critical thinking skills involved. You simply cannot compare the training between a physician and an NP/PA. And often times they "don't know what they don't know" so to speak which is incredibly dangerous.

It is your right to request who you want to see. If the office won't accommodate you, then go elsewhere. There are many physicians who will not hire them.

Honored Contributor

Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants are the way of our new Affordable Care Act. They certainly do not have the medical knowledge that comes with many years of training as do physicians. But remember if the PA or NP screws up the physician will be held liable so the doc has to pretty sure that his employee knows the process.

Many of you have no idea how O'care has changed our healthcare. PAs and NPs are just two examples & you have no choice but to offer to pay the physician cash to have him/her do the procedure personally in the future.

indiarose, apparently many people don't have an understanding of the ACA, especially those who think the ACA brought about PAs, and NPs! These programs have been around since the early 70s at least, at that time President O' as you call him, was 9 years old. Generally, in most practices anyone who prefers to see an MD just has to ask, although the waiting period may be longer, and the schedule not so flexible.

You ask how High? I get the feeling from your 'bias' that you won't read this, but just FYI -

The Physician Assistant training program in my state requires a 4 year BA and some experience in the healthcare profession, and an additional 3 year course of study (full-time).

PAs are required to be licensed by the state in which they practice, and must pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination which is administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. Additionally they must continue their education with 100 continuing medical education credits every two years. They are also required to pass the Physician Assistant National Recertifying Exam every six years.

After becoming a PA a person may chooses to specialize in a particular field of medicine, such as Orthopedics, they must complete an additional post graduate training program. This certification, called the PA-C certification, requires 2 more years of experience in the area of specialty and completion of a specialty certification program. They may then become certified by passing a specialty exam. Specialty certification must be renewed every six years.

And, yes, I did get what I voted for, hope you do too.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Drythe said:

indiarose, apparently many people don't have an understanding of the ACA, especially those who think the ACA brought about PAs, and NPs! These programs have been around since the early 70s at least, at that time President O' as you call him, was 9 years old. Generally, in most practices anyone who prefers to see an MD just has to ask, although the waiting period may be longer, and the schedule not so flexible.

You ask how High? I get the feeling from your 'bias' that you won't read this, but just FYI -

The Physician Assistant training program in my state requires a 4 year BA and some experience in the healthcare profession, and an additional 3 year course of study (full-time).

PAs are required to be licensed by the state in which they practice, and must pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination which is administered by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. Additionally they must continue their education with 100 continuing medical education credits every two years. They are also required to pass the Physician Assistant National Recertifying Exam every six years.

After becoming a PA a person may chooses to specialize in a particular field of medicine, such as Orthopedics, they must complete an additional post graduate training program. This certification, called the PA-C certification, requires 2 more years of experience in the area of specialty and completion of a specialty certification program. They may then become certified by passing a specialty exam. Specialty certification must be renewed every six years.

And, yes, I did get what I voted for, hope you do too.

bravo Drythe!

I read your post and you are spot on.

I've had PA care my entire adult life--and I'm not a youngster!

I suspect the opinions put forth by indiarose are the product of political pundits who just rant without benefit of fact.

I also got what I voted for.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Interesting that some seem to feel that just because many people are familiar with, and happy to be seen by, PAs and NPs, those people are settling permanently for "second best" and/or no longer see MDs.

It's a matter of convenience, choice and degree or seriousness of condition. If I get a terrible cold or flu in high flu season such that I am worried about secondary issues and feel I need to be seen right away, I'd better be prepared to see *whoever* in my doctor's office has the time to see me. If I insisted on an MD in that scenario, I might well be either on the mend or in the ER before they had an opening. I have never been refused in my doctor's office (there are 5) when I've asked to have my appt scheduled with my preferred doctor, but I might have to wait a week or two. I need to call in advance or be *very* sick otherwise.

I never saw anyone but an MD when I required surgery. The aftercare in the office, anyone could have done.

I struggled through Kaiser for one year. If you had any non-emergent but urgent care issue, you saw a NP or PA, period. At managed care facilities they are the First Line - but even then, not the only line. You can of course see a physician - when they have an opening. If you can wait. I quit them because I didn't like that they made it so difficult to see an MD - but that's a side issue.

I suspect that those who claim that all they need do is pick up the phone and get an immediate appt with their MD either live in small towns or have plenty of cash to offer practices which are semi-concierge, i.e. those MDs who prefer cash and won't take much or any insurance and have limited practice size. Money does speak. It always has and always will, and that has nothing to do with politics.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Iwantcoffee said:

Physician's Assistants are very well educated and trained. They are giving you care they are very capable of doing.

One of my doctors has a VERY helpful PA .... she's better than the doctor, IMO! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}