Honored Contributor

Re: Ortho visit that has me steaming mad! What do you think?

pupwhipped,

Thank you so much for following up on this post. It is very gracious, and considerate of you.

You are absolutely correct that each of us needs to take an active role in our health care. We are our own best advocates, and as one MD told me, "the patient is h/her own best historical medical record." Know your medications, know what you can and can take with what medicine, know what you are allergic to, and ask questions. I am not saying it's an us / them situation, I work in health care, just saying we have an obligation to keep an eye on our own care. Example - even the best practitioner may not know what medication another person has prescribed for you unless he has access to your total medical record. Even then mistakes can be made. In January I had MOHS surgery, the MD told me to take Ibuprofen for any pain. However, I can't take Ibuprofen because it is counter indicated with another drug I take, and that drug was in my chart an on my intake record. I politely pointed this out to him and he looked like he swallowed a toad. Was he stupid? No, he just over looked it. It can happen, he was very sorry, I was not upset, never-the-less it goes to my point. We do need to step up even when it may not be our nature to do so.

Knees are bad pain, and make normal activity painful and difficult. I wish you all the best with yours.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

PA's are very well educated and take many of the same classes that MD's or DO's do. Your MD is probably the one that made the diagnosis based on your MRI. PA's often do follow-up and take care of less complicated issues for the practice. PA's are now a vital part of many group practices. I see nothing wrong with this. They add efficiency and can often spend more time with patients than the MD's or DO's can.

Valued Contributor

After my hip surgery my follow up appointment was with the surgeons PA. This was spelled out in the paperwork that was given to me during the preop appointment. I didn't have a problem seeing a PA, if there had been problems then they would have scheduled me with the surgeon.

Honored Contributor

I would not have any issues with a PA giving me test results or injecting my knee.

Valued Contributor

I broke my ankle a few years ago and had to have surgery. My surgeon does not have a PA...He saw me every visit and there were many visits. When I requested early appointments ,he was there for me and he personally took x-rays of my ankle every visit.Discussed everything with me and HE CHANGED MY CAST..not a PA....I guess he's OLD SCHOOL and I love him for it and I recommend him to all.

Super Contributor

Pupwhipped - You're a good sport to check back in and acknowledge those of us who may have been rubbed the wrong way by your earlier post. Not many would be big enough to do that.

Respected Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Colonel Meow said:

Pupwhipped - You're a good sport to check back in and acknowledge those of us who may have been rubbed the wrong way by your earlier post. Not many would be big enough to do that. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Colonel Meow, when you're wrong, you're wrong. And I was in the wrong. I should not have replied as I did. I can certainly see how it came across as insulting and I am very sorry for it. I was just caught up in it all last night.

Again, I do thank you all for your replies. Generosity is not lacking here, and I appreciate everyone's opinion.

pup

Occasional Contributor

To become a PA only requires completing a TWO year program and no internship. Never see a PA, you insurance is paying for you to see a doctor. I know this because I worked for the agency that credentials PA's.
Contributor

My sister is a PA, and she has had many years of college, rotations, internships, and re-certifications. I never mind seeing the PA when I go to the doctor, because quite frankly, I find she takes more time with me than my dr. Does. The PA is well qualified to give you results of any tests, and talk with you about a course of treatment. it is not like they just pay a fee and get a peace of paper off the Internet! they go thru the same education as a doctor does, but 2 years less.
Contributor

I must STRONGLY disagree shawn101! my sister went to college for 6 YEARS add to that rotations and internships, and it was more like 8-9 years! that's how it works in Pennsylvania!