Honored Contributor

Re: Ortho visit that has me steaming mad! What do you think?

On 2/7/2015 indiarose said:

Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants are the way of our new Affordable Care Act. They certainly do not have the medical knowledge that comes with many years of training as do physicians. But remember if the PA or NP screws up the physician will be held liable so the doc has to pretty sure that his employee knows the process.

Many of you have no idea how O'care has changed our healthcare. PAs and NPs are just two examples & you have no choice but to offer to pay the physician cash to have him/her do the procedure personally in the future.

You got what you voted for...oh well.

I'm calling B.S. here. PAs have been around for a long time. This has nothing to do with ACA.

Honored Contributor

When I visited my cataract surgeon I saw 5 or 6 different people and waited in at least 3 waiting rooms.

Super Contributor

Is this doctor an Orthopedic Surgeon? If so, they pretty much see you the first visit... let you know what is going on. If surgery is the route, you never see him again for months after all of your tests and such.. until the day of surgery... and for a few moments when he pokes his head in to say hello... then again after surgery a month down the road for your first post op.

The PA(physician's Assistant) is who you talk to and see after surgery... She is his right hand helper.... She is often times even in the surgery room watching.... she is the one who will takesout stitches, answers concerns, fills prescriptions, relays information or concerns to the Dr. etc...

The surgeon has a team helpers who does his grunge work. My goodness, he is busy with many patients not just you and his job to do the surgery. Do not expect your surgeon to hold your hand or be there for support. That is what he pays his team to do. Sounds like your MRI did not show the need for surgery at this point. At least he is willing to try other options first.

Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2015 mochachino said:
On 2/7/2015 annabellethecat said:

Like I said. She/he should discuss it with the Dr before the shots are done. If there is an issue when the person brings out the needles and says they are doing it, that is the ti

me to ask to speak to the Dr.

A good Dr would discuss what would be done and who would be doing it BEFORE it is done.

this post is highly insulting to PA's and NP's. Doctors DO discuss their patients with the PA's and in places like Cleveland Clinic, almost all follow ups appointment are with PA's where the MD's see the new patients. They already discuss the plan of action beforehand and the PA is well qualified to give results and perform things like injections.

and I must add that if you were sitting in your exam room and the PA came in and you demanded to see the doctor first, h(s)he would most likely be with another patient, have to be called out of that appointment or you would be told you'd have to wait until that doctor was done with his other appts before seeing him, making you wait for a long time to end up with the same result- an injection. that's how it works in real clinics. I know, I was there. And then you'd be on here screaming about how you had to wait for hours to see your doctor.

I don't get the outrage at this at all.

I understood the poster to mean that tha patience should discuss this with the doctor. She wasn't saying the PA should discuss the case with the doctor. It goes without saying.that the dr./PA discussion has already taken place

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Mmsfoxxie said:

Like I said. She/he should discuss it with the Dr before the shots are done. If there is an issue when the person brings out the needles and says they are doing it, that is the ti

A good Dr would discuss what would be done and who would be doing it BEFORE it is done.

this post is highly insulting to PA's and NP's. Doctors DO discuss their patients with the PA's and in places like Cleveland Clinic, almost all follow ups appointment are with PA's where the MD's see the new patients. They already discuss the plan of action beforehand and the PA is well qualified to give results and perform things like injections.

and I must add that if you were sitting in your exam room and the PA came in and you demanded to see the doctor first, h(s)he would most likely be with another patient, have to be called out of that appointment or you would be told you'd have to wait until that doctor was done with his other appts before seeing him, making you wait for a long time to end up with the same result- an injection. that's how it works in real clinics. I know, I was there. And then you'd be on here screaming about how you had to wait for hours to see your doctor.

I understood the poster to mean that tha patience should discuss this with the doctor. She mean the PA should discuss the case with the doctor. That goes withou saying.

The PA and the doctor are in touch all the time every day in every case.

Super Contributor

PA's and NP's are completely capable of delivering health care.

Doctors are very busy and need helpers. If you don't like the way you're treated in your Ortho's office...you need to find a new one. You won't find one that is much different, though.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/7/2015 ellaphant said:

While PAs are well trained, I wold not want a diagnosis given to me by a PA. Sorry, that's just me. A shot is one thing, but not the diagnosis.

I had a surgical procedure by my gynecologist. I saw him walk by my prep room, he never said good morning, never stopped in to see me before. Following the procedure after I woke, a resident came in to tell me all was fine. I was furious. I sent the doctor a letter and had my records transferred to a new doctor.

My cardiologist has a nurse practitioner in his office. I have been dealing with her since 1996 when my Mom first started seeing this cardiologist. The nurse practitioner is extremely knowledgeable, thorough, well educated and well trained. That being said ... she does not make the diagnosis... she waits until the doctor reviews all the test results, and she is able to discuss them with him, before doing anything.

Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Desertdi said:

I think the name is misleading. Physician's Assistant is a medical professional, not an orderly, clerk or secretary as the title might imply. They have years of training, must participate in continuing study, and pass certification.

I think you are right - the name may confuse some people.

My cousin is a PA. She went from being a researcher, to a RN to a NP and finally to a PA.

Her PA training was done as a medical school. Many of her classes were with medical students. PAs have MEDICAL degrees, not nursing degrees.

My cousin ran a university clinic. She could diagnose and prescribe meds, just like a doctor. The difference is that she did it under the supervision of an MD.

She now is running a federal grant for infectious diseases.

PAs are VERY well trained professionals and have been around for a long time.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Mmsfoxxie said:

I understood the poster to mean that tha patience should discuss this with the doctor. She wasn't saying the PA should discuss the case with the doctor. It goes without saying.that the dr./PA discussion has already taken place

I understood what she meant and that's why I posted what I did. Do you not understand my post? I was answering the poster I highlighted, not the original OP.

BTW, the diagnosis is/was made by the MD who reviewed the MRI and decided on the treatment, the PA came in for the follow up to provide the patient with that Dx and the treatment the doctor decided on for her. So why would the poster I responded to say that she would insist on talking to the doctor first? That to me sounds as if she is saying, hey, I don't trust this PA so I want the "real" doctor to come in and tell me the diagnosis and treatment plan. Why? That's just wasting everyone's time and embarrassing the PA.

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

Nothing against physician assistants..they are certified in their field of PA, however, they are NOT medical doctors. If they were, they would have an MD behind their name. If you're paying to see a doctor..it should be your choice to see a doctor. JMHO

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!