Respected Contributor

Oral thrush times three months

[ Edited ]

I have been diagnosed three months ago with oral thrush believed to be the glands in my mouth not making enough saliva. I rinse my mouth once a day with a small amount of water and lemon as my PCP suggested also.

I have been on Nystatin Swish and Swallow mouth rinse 3 times a day for 3 months. I also have been on Fluconazole pills (generic for Diflacan) once a day for three months. I have cut out bread and any foods with yeast. Other than sugar in my 1 cup of coffee in the AM I have cut out sugar. I have seen my PCP every other week. I also have had several blood autoimmune test that included Sjogrens disease. So far other than my CRP being high-9 ( it runs about 16 usually) which is low for me nothing has shown up. 
I have been able to reduce over half of it gone. I would appreciate any advise that any of you have had getting rid of this. The worst for me is that my mouth tastes like plastic when I eat most of the time. I can taste spices and not much other tastes normal. I lost 10 pounds as food taste so bad I am not very hungry.

Thank you for reading this and for any input on how long others has lasted.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oral thrush times three months

Are you sure it is not your toothpaste or anything else you might be allergic to.

Also look at medical meduim blogs. It will have you rethink your whole diet. 

Trusted Contributor

My infant daughter developed thrush once.  I was breastfeeding her and had completed a round of antibiotics for strep throat.  The bacteria kill-off threw the good/bad balance off, causing her to get thrush.

Probiotics?  Have you tried that?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never had thrush. It usually occurs when your normal oral bacteria have been killed off some how and then the yeast over grows. Yeast is an opportunistic infection. You might want to ask your doctor about using a probiotic mouth rinse or probiotic lozenges. That will help restore your normal bacteria and help keep out the yeast from taking over.

Contributor

Ask your doctor if Peridex would help. It is a prescription mouthwash.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you using inhalers for COPD? Some are known to cause this. I hope you figure it out and get well soon. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I've gotten thrush many times throughout the years, usually due to antibiotics creating an overload of bacteria in the mouth.

I have always used (by Dr. recommendations) and had great results with gentian violet, available over the counter.

The only problem is that it dyes your mouth purple for a couple of days, so you may want to use it when you can stay in, LOL!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/gentian-violet-topical-route/description/drg-20064064

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no COPD and never smoked nor does my husband or friends.

I having been taking Probiotics Align that my doctor suggested as she takes them.

I have never missed my meds I take for this. Get a good nights rest and no problem with my teeth nor the toothpaste I use.

My PCP told me some never get their taste buds back. My husband saw an old friend of ours and she had it a few months and never got most of her taste back either.

I had not tried Peridex prescription mouthwash and will check into that. My PCP and I talked about Biotene but she said if I wanted to try but she suggested something else. What she suggested is for me to make my own saliva to keep it coming in my mouth as much as I can as it will kill off the thrush.

Thanks for trying to help. I will keep an eye on this forum for any more suggestions.

I have changed my toothbrush every week as well as scalded it after each use with hot water and rinsed with hydrogen peroxide. Can't do anymore than I can so far.

I have not had any antibiotics in several years either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 

Just a thought, I have a couple of Autoimmune illnesses, and was treated with three different antibiotics for a BAD sinus infection in early Feb.  Guess what, THRUSH.  So I was given medication for that.

After several prescriptions from doctors, it was not better, but I finished up the meds they gave me.  Then I did some more reading, and did this:

** I started swishing like mouth wash with vinegar, not the regular kind, but Meyers with the mother in it, once a day.  I use 1/2 and 1/2 with water and the built up to about 75%.

** Purchased Lozenges with Elderberry and Zinc and dissolved and swished it about, once before bed, daily.

In about 2 weeks mouth was well, I had never had anything like it before.

No guarantees, you should ask MD, or DDS first. Best wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@MKR14 

Just a thought, I have a couple of Autoimmune illnesses, and was treated with three different antibiotics for a BAD sinus infection in early Feb.  Guess what, THRUSH.  So I was given medication for that.

After several prescriptions from doctors, it was not better, but I finished up the meds they gave me.  Then I did some more reading, and did this:

** I started swishing like mouth wash with vinegar, not the regular kind, but Meyers with the mother in it, once a day.  I use 1/2 and 1/2 with water and the built up to about 75%.

** Purchased Lozenges with Elderberry and Zinc and dissolved and swished it about, once before bed, daily.

In about 2 weeks mouth was well, I had never had anything like it before.

No guarantees, you should ask MD, or DDS first. Best wishes.

@Drythe @MKR14 

Just wanted to let you know zinc elderberry lozenges are out of stock all over the place. I bought some several weeks ago.

If all else fails try gargling & rinsing with Sovereign Silver.