Respected Contributor

Re: Oral rinsing twice weekly with diluted bleach

I don't know what happened to my last post but here it goes. I clean our electric toothbrushes with peroxide, weekly. When we have a gum problem, we rinse with peroxide and the next day, it's gone. As far as I know and as another poster said, bleach is a carcinogen. I would be leary of using it as a mouthwash. I got the idea from seeing toothpaste with peroxide in it. I asked my dentist and he said it was fine. If there is any evidence to the contrary, I would certainly think about not using it.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine using bleach (diluted or otherwise) in my mouth.  Imagine, if you swallowed it by accident (pretty easy to do, it seems to me).

I have a degree in science and worked in the chemistry lab to put myself through college.  I wouldn't care what a hygienist told me - no way.  There are many products on the market to safely whiten your teeth.  Why use a household cleaner?

Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35wrote:

My hygienist mentioned this today when I was having my teeth cleaned.  She said I can add it to my Waterpik twice a week if I didn't want to rinse.

I had to look this up. This is what I found:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26856131

I might try it in my waterpik.  If nothing else, it will keep my waterpik clean ;o)

It's 3/4 tsp to 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) of unscented bleach.

I use Super Smile toothpaste and the ingredients kill the bacteria in your mouth.  My hygenist was ready to do a deep gum cleaning (to the root, ugh!) and six months after using Supermile my gums were so improved that I didn't have to have the deep cleaning.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35  Hello, thank you for the link.  In your "recipe" are you sure it is 2 tsp. in one gallon and 2 tsp in one cup of water?   2 tsp in each?

TIA

Honored Contributor

You can buy safe antiseptics rinses at the drug store. Have your hygienist get you a scrip. It's a lot safer than bleach. I have used it before after a dental procedure

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

You can buy safe antiseptics rinses at the drug store. Have your hygienist get you a scrip. It's a lot safer than bleach. I have used it before after a dental procedure

I don't know if you're talking about the same stuff - but - when I had periodontal work done, they gave me some sort of a rinse and toothpaste to use until the product was gone.  I can't remember the name of it, it turned my tongue black.  I stopped using it after a week and it took that long for the black to go away, even brushing my tongue with a regular toothpaste wouldn't take it off.

Honored Contributor

You are certainly not talking about what I used.I am diabetic ,so ,I must take special care not to get an infection

I had no black tongue

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35

My solution to the "bleach" issue is to use Arm & Hammer toothpaste containing baking soda and peroxide.

Peroxide is a type of bleach/disinfectant.   So is baking soda.

Since I started using that toothpaste about 10 years ago, no dentist or hygienist has had to tell me to improve my brushing, stop staining my teeth with coffee (which I drink several times a day) or otherwise improve my dental hygiene.

I don't know about putting Clorox in my mouth..... never heard of doing that and don't want to experiment with it.

btw.......baking soda makes a great paste-like cleaner for tile floors in a shower.  Use it all the time and buy a huge quantity of it at Costco.  Works great on removing soap scum and keeping grout white.  LOL!!

For teeth, I'd stick the with  the Arm & Hammer toothpaste.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

I try to avoid as many chemicals as I can, so I will pass on the bleach mouth rinse.

i do know that chlorine is added to water to disinfect it at supposedly safe levels by many municipalities and it is used for food products...fruits and vegetables and poultry and also to manufacture cake flour.

We are all probably ingesting it at some level.  Many people believe that many food allergies might be caused by ingesting chlorine.