Honored Contributor

Re: Oral rinsing twice weekly with diluted bleach

I have a very colose friend who is a dentist.  I mentioned to him that I frequently rinse with peroxide.  He mentioned that he had a patient who had brushed with Clorox her whole life, and she had beautiful natural teeth.  I said well, that’s an idea ~ his response.  “I wouldn’t recommend it at all.”

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Contributor

Can you please share what brand of Neem toothpaste and mouthwash you use?

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

We my daddy was very young, they cleaned their teeth with a small green tree limb/stick. He always kept a toothpick in his mouth & chewed a lot of gum. His tteth were perfect. ...

At my recent dental appointment, the hygienist recommended wooden Perio Sticks for scraping the gum line and cleaning between the teeth. She said wood absorbs bacteria and mentioned people traditionally cleaning their teeth with twigs. 

I had heard about people chewing on sticks but did not know it was a proven way to keep teeth and gums healthy. Apparently wood is antibacterial. From what I read, it not only absorbs bacteria but keeps it trapped inside the wood. I had never heard this before - not from my dentist, and not from a periodontist I saw.

QVC Customer Care

@EatWell wrote:

I have heard that gargling with full strength Hydrogen Peroxide   

combined with full strength bleach is great for your teeth and gums.

Told to follow the procedure at least 3  or more times per day.  Supposedly it does  wonders for your oral hygiene.

Using full strength bleach to gargle with sounds dangerous.  I searched on the web and couldn't find "full strength" anywhwere.  Can you share with us a source that states this is safe to do?  

Melvin, Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mitchell wrote:

Can you please tell me what particular product of supersmiles that you use? They have a few and I would like to try this as I have gum issues. Is this the only thing that you use that has improved your gums?

Thanks

@Mitchell, a few years ago I had a 4 or 5mm gum pocket which bled when I had my teeth cleaned. I brushed and flossed every day so I don’t know how this happened.  My dentist referred me to a periodontist for a more specialized evaluation.

The periodontist’s first line of treatment was something siimple: aggressively stimulating that area with a rubber tipped implement. I was told to push really hard. When I went back for the follow up appointment, the pocket must have improved because I did not need any further treatment. 

From that time to now I use the gum stimulator on all my teeth, every day, not just the problem area. Of course I continue to floss and brush. At my last checkup, the dentist said I had no gum disease at all.

I also oil pull with coconut oil once a day and I think this has helped too. My dentist doesn’t think much of oil pulling because there are no scientific studies to back this up. He felt it would not prevent cavities, but did concede that it might help keep soft tissue healthier.

For me, my dentist did not recommend a water pik for the gum pocket. He felt if the water stream was too strong or not directed properly it could detach the gum further from the bone. I was surprised, because the water pik seems to be universally recommended for dental problems.

ETA: I’d like to know about Supersmiles too.