Honored Contributor

Re: Oral rinsing twice weekly with diluted bleach

@Big Sisterwrote:

@VaBelle35  Hello, thank you for the link.  In your "recipe" are you sure it is 2 tsp. in one gallon and 2 tsp in one cup of water?   2 tsp in each?

TIA

My hygienist said 3/4 tsp per 8 oz.  Other sites are saying 2 tsp per 8 oz and 2 tsp per gallon.  It's all over the map.

The study I posted I think just says diluted.  I don't believe it gave a ratio.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@RealtyGal2wrote:

... I use Super Smile toothpaste and the ingredients kill the bacteria in your mouth.  My hygenist was ready to do a deep gum cleaning (to the root, ugh!) and six months after using Supermile my gums were so improved that I didn't have to have the deep cleaning.Smiley Happy

@RealtyGal2. Which version of Super Smile are you using?

Respected Contributor

I work with people that put some bleach in their bath water.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234wrote:

I work with people that put some bleach in their bath water.

That's insanity.

Or stupidity.

Or both!

Respected Contributor

A bleach bath is actually a recommended treatment for certain skin problems.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1

I find that the baking soda/peroxide combo in toothpaste works for me, too.

On the other hand, back when I was swimming a lot (in pools with chlorine, presumably), I noticed my forever acne- and bump-prone skin looked better overall, but that doesn't mean I'd want to pour diluted bleach over myself.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Personally, I would change dentists if they employed someone who told me to rinse my mouth with diluted bleach.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The tooth-whitening treatments sold by dentists contain bleaching agents but ALSO contain  fluoride, which is supposed to mitigate the eroding effects of the bleach.

Somehow, the use of even a heavily diluted solution of pure bleach (such as Clorox) seems to me as a probable precursor to  tooth enamel erosion.

As we get older, the last thing we need is any type of acid that could further erode enamel that some people lose with age and because of  normal wear & tear on the teeth.  That's why both dentists I have been to over the years have handed out samples of toothpaste with enamel-protective or enamel-restoring features.

Info about the effects of acidic foods and liquids (such as orange and lemon juice) is readily available.  When I and a coworker were much younger, the coworker asked me whether I drank a lot of orange juice.  I did not, but her dentist had warned her that her intake was probably contributing to the loss of enamel near her gum line.

I wonder what her dentist would have thought if she said she rinsed her mouth with bleach.  

I don't know anything about the science behind all this except what I read, am told by my own dentists and what other people say they have learned or been told.

Honored Contributor

To each his/her own.  Original Listerine should pretty much kill anything.  Granted you will feel like you set your mouth on fire, lol, but if you swallow it, it's won't kill ya.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

You most certainly can use household bleach for drinking water if you cannot boil it.

From the Epa:

Volume of Water Amount of 6% Bleach to Add* Amount of 8.25% Bleach to Add*

1 quart/liter2 drops2 drops
1 gallon8 drops6 drops
2 gallons16 drops (1/4 tsp)12 drops (1/8 teaspoon)
4 gallons1/3 teaspoon1/4 teaspoon
8 gallons2/3 teaspoon1/2 teaspoon
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh