Respected Contributor

Absolutely get a second opinion .... I have had my bladder put in

a sling ....has worked out great ....and I did not have a hysterectomy ...

just removed the cervex .....

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure how a hysterectomy would help .. you need to lift

that bladder ....Frankly I think that is just the old school way ....

But hey .. I'm not a dr. ... I just think I am !!!!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. Just to iterate, the GYN is retiring next month.After the surgery of course. She has been my sisters doctor for several years, and says having the hysterectomy will help further bladder surgerys. I would never agree to this and I have told her to go to a Urogyno. am also 2000 miles away so I cannot physically put a stop to this So I will read these replies to her and try to convince her this doctor is wrong!

Honored Contributor

@share 

I think your sister would be extremely wise to get a second opinion from another local doctor; one who would likely be treating her for any future issues.   

She may have the best doctor in the world advising her about what she needs to do right now, but all of that will be gone once the doctor retires.  

It would be best to walk into a new doctors office for further medical advice prior to this big surgery, than go on the recommendation of a doctor who is retiring soon, and might not be the one treating any complications or extended health issues from this surgery.   

Respected Contributor

@share wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. Just to iterate, the GYN is retiring next month.After the surgery of course. She has been my sisters doctor for several years, and says having the hysterectomy will help further bladder surgerys. I would never agree to this and I have told her to go to a Urogyno. am also 2000 miles away so I cannot physically put a stop to this So I will read these replies to her and try to convince her this doctor is wrong!

Oh Boy ... the Dr. that did my bladder lift pioneered this surgery and

was a very young guy .....Gosh I hope your sister can find someone

else ...but old habits die hard as they say .....I would think a hysterectomy

for uterine prlas[se ..... but the bladder needs to be lifted ....in other words

if they just fix a uterine prolalpse ... don't you still have bladder prolapse ..??

Esteemed Contributor

@share I can't advise you on these procedures, but I have had 2 abdominal myomectomies and I agree with @RedTop that I would not have done these major surgeries with a doctor who is retiring right after my surgery.  She will need follow-up.  I would look for a good surgeon, get a second opinion, and if surgery is needed, get the surgery from that doctor.

Frequent Contributor

I have uterine prolapse. I have my obgyn  and a uro-gyn for second opinion. This was 2 yrs ago. The treatment beyond kegel or pessary is hysterectomy for uterine prolapse. It wasn't that bad and dr. said it could wait, I'd know when I was ready. Saw both drs. Thursday because I'm ready and I'm having other bodily function issues. Not terrible yet. My obgyn said uterine prolapse is separate issue but the uro-gyno can take care of both issues in one surgery. Uterine prolapse doesn't get better and pessary isn't forever either. Maybe more is going on with your sister than just bladder. I was told uterine prolapse can press on bladder causing issues so that may be why the hysterectomy. Like was mentioned before, get a second opinion and I highly recommend seeing a uro-gyn. For what it's worth I wouldn't go to my or any dr. that's about to retire. I hope this helps. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

There are a lot more options these days. I would get a second opinion before removing otherwise healthy organs. 

I had a procedure called a Forte about 20 years ago by my Gyne. I had a prolapsed bladder. It is  an operation but my bladder is still where it should be , very succesful. The best thing I ever did. Get a second opinion and ask about this.

Honored Contributor

Not only do I have a prolapsed bladder but also uterine prolapse.  Fairly recently diagnosed.  I decided on a Pessary while I digest all tihs.  No hysterectomy recommended.  The Pessary was such a huge relief I've decided to use one as long as I can and then I'll think about surgery.  The Pessary has been SO successful for me that I recommend trying it before any surgery....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*