Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions from anyone taking Ambien....

I have been taking ambien every night for years.  I get the full 30 days.  Maybe if your dr requires you take one every night they will pay

If it says as needed on the bottle they pay for half, if they might change it to take one before bed nightly insurance might pay.  I

generic is cheap.  I have not jad the name brand since I got a sample packet years ago, lol.  My insurance refused to provide name brand.  I asked one time what it cost to buy the name brand, they said over 400 bucks!!!  Generic is about 15 bucks for cash 30 pills

i used to eat on ambien.  Yes, get up every night and eat.  But i used to do this before I took ambien as well.  I don't anymore.  But what I do is bring a bottle of water , and some oyster crackers and place them by bed.  After a a couple months, i didn't eat the crackers.  Now I don't get up at all.  I take 1/2 to 3/4 of a 10mg pill 15 mins before bed.  I go wash my face, and get into bed.  I wake up a few times, but at about 2 am i take remainder of pill and seem to sleep til about 7am.  

Respected Contributor

I've been taking Zolpidem for 15 years.  I finished "mentalpause" at 50 and from that point on, I could not buy sleep.  My PCP is a firm believer to use whatever means necessary to insure a good night sleep.  

At one time he gave me a sample of Lunesta and I thought I was on an acid trip!

I have NEVER had an episode of night eating, shopping, driving,etc.  I take it when I go to bed. DH likes to have the t.v. on low so, we set the sleep timer and most times I never hear it go off.  I have never had the "hangover" effect either.

I count myself lucky. This drug has been a life saver for me.

Respected Contributor

@febe1wrote:

@Lila4Nowwrote:

@wvumountiefanwrote:

I would like some advice from anyone taking this. My doc and I have spent almost a year trying non narcotic meds to help me get a full night sleep and I wanted Ambien to be my last resort. Here’s the catch..... My insurance will only pay for 15 pills per month, which really makes me mad. So I’m only suppose to choose 15 nights a month to get rest? My problem is not so much getting to sleep, but staying asleep. Any advice and info is appreciated! 

Have you had a sleep study done?  About 10 years ago I was having problems sleeping.  My doc wanted to know exactly what the problem was, so he would know what exactly would help.  Turns out I had a sever case of Restless Leg Syndrome.  I had no idea.  When we started treatment to help that my sleep issues went away.  A sleep study would show what was is causing you to wake up.

Oh, I would love to know what your "treatment" was for RSL. TIA.

@febe1 I take mirapex which is for parkinsons.

Respected Contributor

@Goodaywrote:

I've been taking Zolpidem for 15 years.  I finished "mentalpause" at 50 and from that point on, I could not buy sleep.  My PCP is a firm believer to use whatever means necessary to insure a good night sleep.  

At one time he gave me a sample of Lunesta and I thought I was on an acid trip!

I have NEVER had an episode of night eating, shopping, driving,etc.  I take it when I go to bed. DH likes to have the t.v. on low so, we set the sleep timer and most times I never hear it go off.  I have never had the "hangover" effect either.

I count myself lucky. This drug has been a life saver for me.

@Gooday You are lucky, it did nothing for my daughter. Now she is on zolpidem and that is not working. She will be starting infusions next week, has not slept in 3 weeks.

Respected Contributor

@Terrywuwrote:

Have been on Ambien since I turned 58.  Twenty years later I have gone from 5 mg to 10 mg and for me it works with no mishaps,however I know it can cause issues with some people.  As the other poster noted my insurance will not cover Ambien.  I tried GoodRX and find it the least expensive at Jewel Osco.  $11 for 30 pils as opposed to $51 at Walgreens.

@Terrywu  YES, GoodRX has saved us many times.

Valued Contributor

I am 57 and have been taking zolpidem (sp?) for about three years. I have had no problems with it and I love how it makes me stay asleep all night.  However, I have decided that I would like to stop taking it and bought some melatonin.  I’m going to test it on the weekend. Wish me luck.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!