Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions from anyone taking Ambien....

Just an FYI - you may only need 1/2 if it's a 10mg tablet.  They are scored and you can cut in half.  You can ask your dr for the 10 and split them if need be!

Respected Contributor

In my experience the 10 mg. tablet is very strong and I often cut in half to use 5 Mg. at a time.  The generic is zolpidem and is just as good as name brand Ambien.

I limit myself to 2 or 3 uses a week.  If you can only get 15 pills a month, cutting them in half will give you 30 doses.

Trusted Contributor

I am jealous of those of you who sleep straight through the night!  I always, always, always get up at least twice, usually three times per night, and sometimes cannot get back to sleep!   I bet I haven't had 7 good hours of sleep in a night in 40 years!   I've even cut waaaaaaay down on the liquids I drink during the day (mostly water is all I drink, occasionally a half glass of tea) and I still get up during the night!!

A few nights per week I take the over-the-counter Sominex and it does help me a bit.  It allows me to sleep 4 hours instead of 3 hours!!  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@wvumountiefanwrote:

I would like some advice from anyone taking this. My doc and I have spent almost a year trying non narcotic meds to help me get a full night sleep and I wanted Ambien to be my last resort. Here’s the catch..... My insurance will only pay for 15 pills per month, which really makes me mad. So I’m only suppose to choose 15 nights a month to get rest? My problem is not so much getting to sleep, but staying asleep. Any advice and info is appreciated! 

Have you had a sleep study done?  About 10 years ago I was having problems sleeping.  My doc wanted to know exactly what the problem was, so he would know what exactly would help.  Turns out I had a sever case of Restless Leg Syndrome.  I had no idea.  When we started treatment to help that my sleep issues went away.  A sleep study would show what was is causing you to wake up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila4Nowwrote:

@wvumountiefanwrote:

I would like some advice from anyone taking this. My doc and I have spent almost a year trying non narcotic meds to help me get a full night sleep and I wanted Ambien to be my last resort. Here’s the catch..... My insurance will only pay for 15 pills per month, which really makes me mad. So I’m only suppose to choose 15 nights a month to get rest? My problem is not so much getting to sleep, but staying asleep. Any advice and info is appreciated! 

Have you had a sleep study done?  About 10 years ago I was having problems sleeping.  My doc wanted to know exactly what the problem was, so he would know what exactly would help.  Turns out I had a sever case of Restless Leg Syndrome.  I had no idea.  When we started treatment to help that my sleep issues went away.  A sleep study would show what was is causing you to wake up.

Oh, I would love to know what your "treatment" was for RSL. TIA.

Respected Contributor

I wish I only got up once or twice a night.  For me it it every 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I tried Ambien and like another poster, I'd get up, head straight to the kitchen and eat a pint of ice cream and any goodies available. 

I would rather get up multiple times than take Ambien.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wvumountiefanwrote:

My 82 year old Mom still takes it and has had great results.  She takes a half off one at night.  No sleep walking. 

Respected Contributor

@lulu1wrote:

I wish I only got up once or twice a night.  For me it it every 90 minutes to 2 hours.

I tried Ambien and like another poster, I'd get up, head straight to the kitchen and eat a pint of ice cream and any goodies available. 

I would rather get up multiple times than take Ambien.

What’s your caffeine intake?  I gave up all caffeine and now sleep through the night.  No more potty breaks for me. 

Frequent Contributor

I had the same issue with my insurance company after having a prescription for 30 pills for years. We changed insurace companies due to a job change. I spoke with my Dr about it and she changed the dosage so insurance would allow a 30 pill script. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have tried different medications over the years.  Ambien being one of them.  I truely think that each person is different as to how they react to each medication.  For me, (and a great many others), I would walk in my sleep.  I even got up and used the gas stove.  Very scary. 

I am now using Lunesta.  I have good noghts and not so good nights. 

I think the previous suggestion of cutting th pill in half is a great idea.  It is a very good idea to start out with a smaller dose. 

Best of luck to you.