Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions - Treadmill vs Bikes

I have had both of my knees scoped for debris cleanup.  No meniscus tears.  About eight years ago, my doctor told me to get rid of the treadmill and get an elliptical.  It took me awhile to find the right machine with a stride I liked.  I am very happy about the change.  Every once in awhile I take a short run on a treadmill just because I miss it.  I know right away that I shouldn't use the treadmill on a continuous basis because it hurts.  I am 60 and I use my elliptical and Pilates machines.  Love them both.  LM

Frequent Contributor

I am considering selling the treadmill and adding an ellipical along with the bike.  I have a small house and don't have room for all three plus my pilates reformer.  Would be the first time in many years I would  be without a treadmill......

Can you share what type of ellipical you have?  TY

Esteemed Contributor

@BHawk, here is a link for the one I have.  It provides a review of the machine.  Mine is an Octane 37.

http://www.ellipticalreviews.com/octane-fitness/q37/

I understand what you mean about the space issue.  The Octane is a gym quality machine.  I took the time to test drive ellipticals before I bought the Octane.  Any good fitness equipment dealer will let you have a workout or two.  Also see if they will set it up for you free if you buy it.  Have that discussion before you commit to purchase.  Make sure you are comfortable with the stride. It took me awhile to find the right one.  You could also test drive some at your gym to find one you like.  The gym should be able to talk to you about reliability, repairs, etc.

If I were in your shoes, I would not buy both machines (elliptical and bike) at the same time.  I would buy one and see if it fits your need for cardio.  One may be enough.  Pilates is good for stretching and toning IMO but doesn't do much for weight loss.  You need cardio for that.

Good luck sunbeam!  Your knees will thank you.  LM

Frequent Contributor

Good advice!  will try out the bike for a few months....a nd yes, these 68 yo knees are breathing a sigh of relieve!

Trusted Contributor

Also check out ellipical machines by Life Fitness. They're honkers (big) but they are fabulous machines.When the gym I used to belong to replaced them with a different brand, that was the end of my membership.

Hubby and I bought a demo model at a fitness store for home use.

Honored Contributor

DH and I recently purchased an elipitical....I like it....I think it takes a bit of getting used to, the resistance is a little tougher than the treadmill we had but from what the salesman told us the eliptical is easier on the knees, which my husband needed. I put the setting to work my thighs with a resistance of 1...I need to work up to higher resistance....and I burn 100 calories in 15 minutes.

We do walk a lot in the summer and I can certainly walk for an hour + and probably burn more calories but we needed something to work out on during the long winter months.

Honored Contributor

My 65 year old DH is a fitness guru, exercises every day of his life for last 45 years, but for some reason he really dislikes a treadmill, loves his Schwinn AyrDyne bike.