Frequent Contributor

Opinions - Treadmill vs Bikes

From those more knowlegeble than I - I am of the older generation and find that if I spend more than 30 - 45 minutes on my treadmill I can have (not always) discomfort in the knee/ankle area.  Recently purchased the x bike fand find that I can burn more calories with no discomfort.  My question is, should I be concerned about the lack of weight bearing using the bike as opposed to the treadmill?

TIA

Frequent Contributor

Re: Opinions - Treadmill vs Bikes

Hello. I will add my two cents. I go to the gym alot. Probably too much. I think I have issues. I always do the treadmill. I really do enjoy it. I feel it gives me a good workout, and I burn alot of calories. But it does take a toll on my body. I have knee pain and ankle pain also. Iam a woman and Iam 51. I cant keep this up forever. Anyway, I think if you are doing the bike and dont have the pain, then I would stick with that. The treadmill isn't very good for your body. It is hard on the joints we all know that. You should be proud of yourself for even going to the gym. I say stick with the bike. Good for you, and keep it up. At least you are there exercising. Alot of people are home sitting on the couch. Iam prould of you. Hope this helps. I would like to do something other than the treadmill. Change things up a bit. Iam hurting my body. I feel it every day. 

Honored Contributor

I have always been a huge treadmill fan! Until I got my elliptical. I always choose to use my elliptical over my treadmill. I don't have joint problems so I can't give an opinion on which is best for troubled knees.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I'm in my 60's and I have an eliptical.  Bought it on Amazon and put it together myself.  Love it!  It kept my weight down all winter - I just did 3-4 miles a day and had no weight problems last winter.  Great on your knees and gets your heart rate up.

Honored Contributor

The best advice I've ever heard was to do the exercise you enjoy doing and you are going to do.  If you feel good on the bike and have no pain, there's your answer.

Don't force yourself to try to do something that you body is telling you not to do.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My trainer told me that swimming, biking and walking are done to build tolerence. For losing weight and becoming stronger I need to work on the machines in the gym because they use resistance. (weights). Most older people need both so he encourages me to do the machines 3 days a week like M_W_F and swim , bike or treadmill the other 3 and our gym is closed sundays. So that is what I do. Sometimes when I swim I do a water zumba class and other times I just swim laps. I prefer the zumba class because I have bad lungs and the lap swimming can be hard for me breathing wise.

Honored Contributor

My trainer also told me that when you work a muscle group one day you should rest that group and work a different one the next day, because on the day the muscles rest is when they grow stronger. So that is why I am supposed to do my resistance exercises only every other day, and my endurance exercises the days between and total rest on Sunday, though I do often take a leisurely walk on Sundays.

Trusted Contributor

As someone with terrible knees I can tell you the bike is no problem for me, but using the treadmill fast enough to do any good is very hard on me. I feel like I am weight bearing throughout the day with my normal walking. I also use weights when at the gym.

Frequent Contributor

Exactly my problem, Dabcakes!  I am going to go the bike route, I believe.  Just walking around doing chores , hopefully, take care of the weight-bearing aspect.  I also do pilates.  TY for your  input.

Frequent Contributor

TY, everyone!  Knew I could get some good opinions here!